Fort Peck

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Fort Peck

Postby GThomp » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:46 am

Anyone live around there that could tell me the water depth at the junction of the Missouri and Musselshell rivers? I am thinking of taking my jon boat out there next weekend for some fishing, and cannot see on google earth whether it is two narrow rivers that come together, or if it is big open water. Any advice would be appreciated, and if i don't get any here i am going to give it a shot anyway because i have never been up there. So don't worry your pretty heads about giving away a duck spot. I am just looking for advice on the navigability of the area for my boat.
GThomp
hunter

Re: Fort Peck

Postby wingnutty » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:02 pm

I have heard that the area is a smallie paradise. Always wanted to give it a try, but never have.

Got no usable info for you though, but good luck!
wingnutty
hunter

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:04 pm

Havent been there this year, but the musselshell meets the river right at the crooked creek boat launch. Until this year the water was almost a mile from the launch and the musselshell was a trickle through the mud meeting up with it. In the photo the road leads to the boat ramp, campground to the left. The mussellshell is the body of water to the right. Was up a few miles down from here a couple weeks ago and the muss had plenty of water in it.
Attachments
crooked.jpg
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby GThomp » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:23 am

Thanks a bunch. So you think there will be water by the boat launch? I had aspirations of going there, but i am not sure now after hearing the water could be a mile from the boat launch. I live in Livingston and it is a pretty far drive to get all the way there and not be able to put the boat in... Maybe i will give it a shot at one of the launches farther east and try to motor that way, water level permitting.
GThomp
hunter

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:23 am

PTROOFER FTFOWLER wrote:Until this year

Last I heard you could launch there
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby mtriverrunner » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:23 am

I have been there a few times this year. The launch at Crooked Creek is in great shape. The water is over 10 ft deep out in front of the ramp. The musselshell comes into the lake a couple of miles to the south of the boat launch. I ran my 24' jet boat about 5 miles up the musselshell this year during high water, you will have no problems getting around with a Jon Boat of any sort. The smallmouth fishing in that area is not very good from what I have experienced. It is much better furhter down the lake. I put in at Fred Robinson bridge and run down to and past that area quite a bit, it is nice country to spend time in.
mtriverrunner
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting