Access to the bighorn

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Access to the bighorn

Postby feetdown25 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:21 am

Hey guys i will probably be hunting the bighorn later this year and don't have a boat. Just wondering if spots can be easily accessed by parking at boat launches and walking from there or is a boat a big help?

Thanks
feetdown25
hunter

Re: Access to the bighorn

Postby phutch30 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:32 pm

Not really. All hunting and access has to be below the high water mark. Other wise your tresspassing. There is very limited hunting on any of the FAS, which are all small to boot. If you do attempt it better have a good dog cause you wont be walking out to retrieve 9 out of 10 birds. The private landowners or tribe wont put up with you walking on thier property. Some of this will change soon. As soon as the crow tribe gets all the legal stuff out of the way everyones going to need a tribal license to hunt below the high water mark within the Res boundry.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:35 pm

I should also note that if you do bring a boat either have a big enough motor to get you back to the launch in swift current or plan on drifting to the next launch. Be aware there are large diversion dams that sane people dont go over by choice......shut up Ray and Pete. LOL
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby feetdown25 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:10 pm

Appreciate the input. I fish all the time on the upper twelve miles starting from the dam down so i know that area well...is up towards the dam legal to hunt?
feetdown25
hunter

Postby TJet Apprentice45 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:16 am

Phutch, if that new regulation goes into affect on the Res. do you know who will be responsible for enforcing it? I assume it would be Tribal F&G but not sure how the reguation proposal was written.

Thanks
TJet Apprentice45
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:16 am

Probably the tribe. They just bought a couple big jet boats to run the river in. They have been surveying all the islands etc the last couple years.
phutch30
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:18 am

The upper river is legal to hunt under the same regs. Have to stay below the high water mark unless your on public or have permission.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Lawdog » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:06 pm

phutch30 wrote:Some of this will change soon. As soon as the crow tribe gets all the legal stuff out of the way everyones going to need a tribal license to hunt below the high water mark within the Res boundry.

Rest in Peace, Ryder. Boy, you went before your time, in the start of your prime. You were loyal and are missed.

~ 4 March 2013.
Lawdog
State Moderator

Postby phutch30 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:49 pm

Ill pm you
phutch30
hunter

Postby montana quackhead » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:47 pm

Don't forget the candlelight...seriously...
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting