Birds starting to show???

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Birds starting to show???

Postby Deer Lodge Josh » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:44 am

Is everyone starting to see new birds showing? Last week had early migrators of mergs and wood ducks flying through. local mallards flying around too. Local geese are on their morning schedule of 9-10am flights up the valley. Had them 20yds overhead two days in a row. Hope they keep that pattern on opener. Still some young ducks unable to fly on the ponds but more flying everyday. Finished dessing the blind last weekend. My ponds were effected by the high water this year. Beaver that used to flood everything on me didn't repair the dam after the big water so my pond was 10" lower. Had to play beaver and get the pond up 4-5" myself. Good thing is now it is all fresh flooded grass with seads. great habitat for the ducks. Looking forward to Oct 1st.
Deer Lodge Josh
hunter

Re: Birds starting to show???

Postby HaydenHunter » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:53 pm

I spent last week in Alberta. Drove up through Calgary to Edmonton and then all the way up to Grande Prairie. Work, not hunting. what I did see was a lot of birds in the ponds the farther I went south. They are staging for when the cold pushes them down your way. The guys in Grande Prairie said they have seen high flights of migrating honkers lately in the evenings.

Have a good opener.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby darcher » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:51 pm

I went exploring today (9/18) to the East Bay of Flathead Lake to check out the area I used to hunt YEARS ago! Lots of coots rafted out in the lake, and lots of Canada geese up on the farm slope, but I only jumped six mallards in a couple of miles of shoreline. Makes me wonder if the big dairy still plants corn. I suspect it may not be in operation. Good to see the honkers, however.
darcher
hunter

Postby Deer Lodge Josh » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:47 pm

Sunday had new rafts of coots on the big ponds. Was flight of the merganser along the river. Had a couple ringnecks fly off my ponds. First gadwall spotted also over my place. Some new grebes also migrating through. New songbirds migrating through too. So ducks should be arriving soon. Geese were all over a public area so they will be broken up flying around on opener. Maybe they will come my way.

Today was great to feel the cold north wind. Checked weather along the whole state and was cold north northwest wind everywhere. Hope it brought some birds with it as the long term forecast is warm. Maybe ducks came with the wind and will now stick around. If a cold north wind happened in november I would be planning the next day off work for the new birds arival.

Will be back out this weekend. Hopefully some new birds have arrived. Thankfully the fishing has been good so if the ducks are slow on opener, will gladly catch some nice fish. Also saw the big brother of the buck I have been chasing with a bow. Just out of range but a great sight. Now have two nice bucks to go after. Thankfully some tastey does around. Too bad no more whitetail B tags in my area. Oh well if need be at the end of season fill the freezer with a tasty doe.
Deer Lodge Josh
hunter

geese everywhere

Postby Deer Lodge Josh » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:50 am

I have seen geese everywhere the past couple days. Though I am currently outside of DC for work. Always amazed at the amount of geese back here.

did see the usual flights of geese last weekend in the upper clark fork valley. Unfortunately not many ducks. the 90+ heat probably had something to do with it. The hens with young are still around. Can't believe the young still can not fly. have over a dozen flightless young on my place. They usually get out and head south by end of Oct.

See how it goes saturday morning. Will be great just ot get out. With the busy opener there are usually plenty of birds flying in the valley so I am sure we will get some shots. Went out and shot skeet last weekend so ready to go.
Deer Lodge Josh
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:07 am

I haven’t seen any flight birds. What I’m seeing is all the local birds starting to conglomerate into larger multi family flocks rather than the 3-6 bird family groups. I have only seen 3 actually greenheads so far, still 99% brown ducks.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby feetdown25 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:48 am

Haven't seen any signs of migrators, just local ducks. Mostly gaddies, spoonies, teal, and some mallards. Usual puddler mix.
feetdown25
hunter

Postby Lawdog » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:01 am

I'm seeing mostly geese and mottled ducks. Supposed to be 90 degrees here on Saturday, once again I have my annual head-scratcher rant as to why we don't delay opening for 2-3 weeks. But, I will do my duty and be out there anyway.
Rest in Peace, Ryder. Boy, you went before your time, in the start of your prime. You were loyal and are missed.

~ 4 March 2013.
Lawdog
State Moderator

Postby phutch30 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:33 pm

Lawdog wrote:Supposed to be 90 degrees here on Saturday, once again I have my annual head-scratcher rant as to why we don't delay opening for 2-3 weeks.

Duh! cause then we wouldnt be able to shoot bean geese and scoters. God your dumb! lol
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby Lawdog » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:27 pm

Whew. I had always thought it was simply a cynical money grab.
Rest in Peace, Ryder. Boy, you went before your time, in the start of your prime. You were loyal and are missed.

~ 4 March 2013.
Lawdog
State Moderator

Postby wingnutty » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:16 pm

I'm not seeing any masses of birds. Kinda weird as the two previous places I've lived over the past 5 years have had nice groups of early migrators/assemblages of family groups; nice flocks of 500-5,000 birds. So far here I've seen nothing of the sort. A decent number of puddler and diver family groups though, but nothing too exciting.
wingnutty
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:26 pm

I saw more blue winged teal today than Ive seen in the last 15 years combined. Granted before today the count was in the single digits, but its around 100 now. Too bad I was in ID. LOL
phutch30
hunter

Postby Shelby » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:11 pm

Ennis lake is loaded with birds. Teal a few Mallards. And practice ducks
Shelby
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:55 pm

I finally found a place that's not loaded with coots and grebes. I'm not kidding either, they're thick around these parts! Should be a good opener but this weather's gonna suck!
Bulldog0156
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting