Confucius says

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Confucius says

Postby phutch30 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:21 pm

Confucius say: he who is a too picky of an elk hunter may eat hotdogs and spam all winter.

Im sick of elk hunting Im ready for duck season.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Re: Confucius says

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:53 am

At least your tired of elk hunting, I am sick and tired of this roofing season. Please God make it start snowing so I can go hunting.
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby TomKat » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:56 am

phutch30 wrote:Confucius say: he who is a too picky of an elk hunter may eat hotdogs and spam all winter.

Im sick of elk hunting Im ready for duck season.

Wah! WAh! Give it a rest- I have never got to go elk hunting.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby phutch30 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:31 am

TomKat-That just means you dont want to hunt elk.

PTROOFER FTFOWLER- I invited your lazy crippled ass to come on over. Work is for people who cant find time to hunt!

You get your plane ticket for DE yet?

So Far.......
Opening night I had a decent bull come in silent and unbeknownst to me stand looking at me at 35 yards. I didnt see him until I stood up.

I passed up a 280ish 6x6 broadside at 30 yards second sunday of the season thinking I was going to get a crack at the much bigger herd bull pushing him away from the herd..not! This one still hurts. LOL

I passed up a couple smaller bulls the second week but had a lot of fun playing with them. All of them were 40 yards or less.

On last Thur I called in a lone 6x bull that was just big, and flubbed a 28 yard broadside shot. Found both 1/2s of my arrow with only the middle 12" with blood, I figure I hit him through the very top of his back. Followed his tracks for 500 yards and looked for 3 days, nothing. Only thing I can figure is I kissed a branch or something with the arrow. At first I thought I had shot over him. Couldnt figure out how since I had ranged the opening and he was closer than the ranged bush.

Last Sat night I passed up what I thought was a med 5x5 at 40 and at full draw at 38. At the time I didnt want to pack him out of the hole I was in 5 miles to my 4wheeler. Turned out I under estimated him. He walked out again in the wide open at 70 and he was bigger than I thought and really wide. I would have put him at 45" wide and all around allot bigger than I thought. He was as big frame wise as the 275 bull I took 2 years ago and wider.

On Sun night, I called in and passed up a medium/large caucasian with a smaller (satellite I guess) caucasian following closly along at about 45 yards. They both had trophy class camo paint on and came in very nice. I think the big one shat a little when I said "hey" to stop them. Best part was they came in from way up on the mountian all the way to the bottom. LOL

Last night I had a big 310-315ish herd bull sucker me into climbing 1500 feet verticle up the side of the mountian. At one point I had him at 60 yrds for almost 5 min, but he was facing away raking sagbrush and would never turn and give me a shot. After that he never came any closer than maybe 75-80 yards.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby shawdawg02 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:44 am

At least your getting into them. I am having a pretty rough time this year even getting into elk, and the elk I am finding are not talking at all. Guess I need some new spots, or better yet stop going to school so I can put some more miles on. :no:
shawdawg02
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:06 pm

All my action is happining between 4 and 5.5 miles in. This hot weather has them way high and way back. Its real fun walking in that far in 80 degree weather. They have been talkin realy good. early I was hearing 5-11 bulls per night, now its 1-2.
phutch30
hunter

Postby shawdawg02 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:07 pm

I have only been able to get that far in once and that was last weekend. We saw a couple bulls in there but nothing was talking. During the week I can't get out of town until almost 5pm which doesn't allow me to get off the road as far as i would like.
shawdawg02
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:05 am

With this heat theres not any point in getting out too early. all my action is happing around 7pm
phutch30
hunter

Postby montana quackhead » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:36 pm

Went into the Bob for a "quick" hunt. Nothing quick or easy about it. Saw 2 bulls...no point in shooting either one because it was way too hot!! We could have gotten meat cooled quickly...it would just be a nightmare with the heat and blowdown. I can deal with blowdown, I can't deal with 90 degree temps..elk hunting. :no:
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:40 am

I went out Friday evening for another looksee to see if I could find some birds or something to indicate the bull I nicked was dead. I reached a lookout on the side of the mountain about 5 miles in at around 230 in the afternoon. I glassed the whole basin for 4 hours and saw no birds or anything to indicate a dead animal in the basin.

As I was glassing I found 2 small bulls, a 3x and a 5x5 about 1 mile away and 2000' below me bedded in the shade. As evening came on and the blazing heat started to drop they got up and started feeding. The other reason I was where I was had to do with the 300+ herd bull I had been playing with on this ridge 2 nights before. So about 630pm when the thermals finally switched, I started moving towards the big meadow on top of the ridge expecting to hear him start talking anytime. By 730-745 I still hadn’t heard a thing so I threw out a few series of cow and lost calf calls. Nothing. So sent a weak hi pitched bugle nothin. Loud aggressive bugle and still nothing. So I started glassing the basin again. The two small bulls were now 1/2 mile away standing on an open ridge staring at me. They weren’t anything I was going to pack out of this hell hole, so I decided to play with them. Over the next 30min I glassed and called to them. Every time I called they both stopped dead and looked and then kept coming. I got bored and went to see what was on the other side of the mountain. I stood up and about 60 yards in front of me I could see antlers coming over the side of the hill. Pretty quick the bull was well inside shooting range. Unfortunately for me it was a 4x4 and not the big 6 that I was looking for. He stuck around for 5-6 min. Every time he started to leave I’d do a soft cow call and he'd turn and come back. Not what I was looking for but anytime a bull elk is walking around 20-30 yards from you it’s a great day in the woods. I finally I let him leave and hiked out to the 4 wheeler.

I’m probably done until 2nd week in Oct when the 2nd cycle cows come into heat. Hopefully it will have cooled off by then.
phutch30
hunter

Postby quackpipe » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:07 am

man who go to sleep with itchy butt, wake up with stinky finger.
man who work too much, wake up with itchy trigger finger.
quackpipe
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting