Best Places to Duck Hunt

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Best Places to Duck Hunt

Postby darcher » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:48 am

I chuckle when I read the inflamed replies to some kid asking where the best places to duck hunt are in Montana. Luckily, I escaped much of that when I asked about two of my old favorite places last year. I just returned from a scouting trip in the Northwest part of the state, and I now feel a little sympathy for a UM student needing to keep up with his classes and keep up with the rich tradition of duck hunting some father or adult ignited in him. So, I will not divulge my new spots, as after all, they are as yet untried. But if you are new to the state, here is some simple advice. Go to your regional state fish and wildlife office and make an appointment to speak to someone who knows the block grant lands that may offer waterfowl hunting opportunities. Next, for goodness sake, research the obvious! Research the US Fish and Wildlife hunting opportunities. Duh! They are called WPA’s – Waterfowl Production Areas. After four days of being on the road, I have added numerous areas to hunt this season, and in this reconnaissance I managed to catch some nice bass and pike. Have fun exploring.

Dave Archer
darcher
hunter

Re: Best Places to Duck Hunt

Postby phutch30 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:54 pm

Weve all been there and I can relate. But at the same time people need to get out and look around for spots themselves. Finding duck spots takes nothing but time and effort. If you cant pony up that then you probably need to rethink this sport. Im sure not telling anyone where I hunt.....I will give up Ray an Petes spots through pms though. LOL
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:31 pm

What if we guess correctly? :wink:
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby feetdown25 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:47 pm

I'm a freshman at U of M and am fortunate enough to have a car to scout. Been finding good numbers lately for opening day. Just put in the time and research, sure is a lot easier to find ducks here than in Minnesota.
feetdown25
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:45 pm

darcher wrote:I chuckle when I read the inflamed replies to some kid asking where the best places to duck hunt are in Montana. Luckily, I escaped much of that when I asked about two of my old favorite places last year. I just returned from a scouting trip in the Northwest part of the state, and I now feel a little sympathy for a UM student needing to keep up with his classes and keep up with the rich tradition of duck hunting some father or adult ignited in him. So, I will not divulge my new spots, as after all, they are as yet untried. But if you are new to the state, here is some simple advice. Go to your regional state fish and wildlife office and make an appointment to speak to someone who knows the block grant lands that may offer waterfowl hunting opportunities. Next, for goodness sake, research the obvious! Research the US Fish and Wildlife hunting opportunities. Duh! They are called WPA’s – Waterfowl Production Areas. After four days of being on the road, I have added numerous areas to hunt this season, and in this reconnaissance I managed to catch some nice bass and pike. Have fun exploring.

Dave Archer

After reading your posts that mentioned your honey holes, I'm not so sure that you are the one to be taking advice from. Kicking Horse? Douche-arm? Those are the spots that people without much experience think will be really good and then they go there and shoot 2 shoveler. They're on par with Lee Metcalf. Ducks are where you find them on a given day, until you shoot them out of there, then they are somewhere else. Most people are a day late and a dollar short.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby darcher » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:12 pm

I don't believe I have offered any advice other than doing your homework for locations and using government agencies. I could care less if my old spots don't live up to your expectations. What you obviously missed from my previous posts was that I used to scull on Kicking Horse. I am not in competition with you hot shots. Lighten up. I've hunted ducks all my life, and I never achieved a level of expertise, as some of you contributors to this site. I enjoy reading, learning and sharing. It seems to me that the level of criticism from a few individuals on this site may discourage some enthusiasts. I just want to have fun without getting in a pissing contest with other members.
darcher
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting