Who went out? post some pics

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Who went out? post some pics

Postby phutch30 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:05 pm

I went moose hunting this am, I might go out tomorrow.

Lets see some pics
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Re: Who went out? post some pics

Postby wingnutty » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:01 pm

No pics for me.

I shot 6, did ok. 5 ringers and a drake mallard. Not great, not terrible. Pretty much saw 90% ringers, a few cans and a mix of mallards/puddlers.

Personally, I enjoy shooting a variety early in the year while I can and I enjoyed my ringneck party :lol3: Could have probably shot a limit of geese had I wanted to lug goose floaters and dead geese 3/4 of a mile to the truck, but I really didn't wanna die in the heat so I opted to focus on ducks.

Figure I'll hit it again in the am and then 2x next week during the week.
wingnutty
hunter

Postby quackpipe » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:05 pm

Bunch of brown mallards..teal..gadwall..spoonie..pennies..ringer...and a honker. Three man limit.
quackpipe
hunter

Postby TopWop » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:22 pm

Had all my stuff ready by the door ready to go. Woke up bright and early, looked outside and the temp...
went back to bed. Went golfing instead, shot an 83.
TopWop
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:45 pm

I struggled, didn't end up with anything. Not many birds flying. :fingerhead:
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:34 pm

Great roofing weather today :crying:
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby pmarauder » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:19 pm

pretty good opening day in the Flathead..... Saw lots of ducks and quite a few geese. Ended up with 19 honkers, 2 Specks and only 3 ducks. Hope it should be better tomorrow.
Attachments
Resampled952011-10-019511-06-1095286.jpg
pmarauder
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:28 pm

Got my revenge this morning. Birds were flying a bit better and I shot just a bit better. Ended up with 7 including 2 pinner drakes! :grooving:
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby shawdawg02 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:56 pm

I headed over to the panhandle to hunt with the family. Nothing to spectacular, we ended up with 14 yesterday, 10 woodies and 4 mallards. I was surprised that 2 of the woody drakes had really good color for this time of year. Probably could have shot a few more but it was my nephews first duck hunt and we let him shoot first on most of them. He's hooked.
shawdawg02
hunter

Postby montana quackhead » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:03 pm

shawdawg02 wrote:I headed over to the panhandle to hunt with the family. Nothing to spectacular, we ended up with 14 yesterday, 10 woodies and 4 mallards. I was surprised that 2 of the woody drakes had really good color for this time of year. Probably could have shot a few more but it was my nephews first duck hunt and we let him shoot first on most of them. He's hooked.

Nothing too spectacular?? :huh: Sounds like a spectacular day to me. Anytime I get a chance to get out is a good day. Just bustin' your balls. :biggrin:

Pmaruder...nice work on those geese especially the specks! :thumbsup:
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter

Postby montana quackhead » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:58 pm

2011 Opener

Karl Tommy 2011 Altered.jpg
montana quackhead
hunter

Postby montana quackhead » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:07 pm

Today was a little chillier.... :biggrin: And the ducks had better plummage. :help:

Wilma wiped out.jpg
montana quackhead
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:18 pm

My first day of the 2011/2012 season was ok. Bird action was good, just some stupidity on my part soured it. I ended up with 1 nice gaddie drake, a 1/2 turned drake pintail, widg, greenwing and mallard and a hen greenwing and hen widgeon. Finding color in the sea of brown was very hard. I could have shot a limit of full plumed buffies though. LOL I had several doz go by. I only saw 3 full on greenheads. Set up at 7:15 and was picked up at 9:50. Picking up all the emties took some time.

Tip #1 of 2011/2012
Always double check, or check period for that matter, to make sure you didnt forget to take out the extr full turkey choke from turkey season prior to going duck hunting.....or at least check when you go o for 10 on 20 yard shots.

Tip #2 of 2011/2012
Dont assume that the muddy water your throwing your decoys into is less than or equal to the 45" of line you have on your dekes. Your dog may not like having to "fetch" decoys that drifted into deep water.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby darcher » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:35 pm

Well, my Saturday opener was marked by "coulda had, shoulda had, woulda had, but ,hey, I was happy to scull on one goose in the East Bay and put him in the boat. It has been twelve years since I sculled. Last year I touted it as a fun endeavor, something different. It doesn't compare to field shooting or a private pond. Because I have limited use of my right shoulder, I put out six floating honker decoys about 100 yards from the shore. I backed off another hundred yards. By nine flocks of half a dozen to twenty were dropping on the lake, but not really coming into my decoys. I made three sculls and put up each flock so far in the distance I couldn't see markings. Damn, not only was this bringing me pain in both shoulders, but I was getting really discouraged. Finally, some mallards dropped into that invasive weed. I marked them and headed into shore. It took me forever! When I hit the weeds, I couldn't believe how noisy it was hitting them with the nose of the boat. Up went the mallards way out of distance, except a pair that got up ten yards behind me.

When I finally got out of that mess, I looked out at my dekes and counted an extra one. I sculled out to my dekes, and took a honker at 15 yards. I was relieved. It was my first sculling day in a boat that I built two years ago. I made the mistake of anchoring way too far out. I had small groups drop into my set, but they would be far out of range by the time I got there. I closed my anchoring distance to fifty yards. Another single dropped in and I sculled on it. I sat up at 25 yards. It didn't jump so I pumped three rounds into it. It rolled over, a wing came up and I thought I had taken my second goose. While I was re-loading it started swimming out into the lake. I pulled out my kayak paddle and took chase. The goose picked up off the water and flew higher and higher until it was out of site. I had made the mistake of anchoring my scull boat parallel to the decoys rather than directly out. This way I could have pushed the goose towards the shore. I had forgotten and felt bad.

Well, I wrote a lot for just one goose, but I was pleased. I met an old hunter in his late 70's who got three geese in one of the goose pits in the Ninepipe area. He said years ago you had to wait in line. Saturday he just walked out and took one. Sunday I tried sculling on geese on Kicking Horse, but I came to a stop when I hit the weeds. It was great to be out!
darcher
hunter

Postby darcher » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:42 pm

scull-goose-small.jpg
Kicking Horse in background.
Photo of scull boat.
darcher
hunter

Postby feetdown25 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:12 pm

Saturday was a little slow for me, only ended up with 2 plus a honker. Did some more scouting though after for sunday and got on em. Ended up with 3 buffies, a green winger, a blue winger, a mallard, and a pintail. Little rusty on the shooting part though. :fingerhead:
feetdown25
hunter

Postby Comin' In Hot » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:28 pm

Slow-ish my way..... birds around, but poor decoy strategy (placed way too far away from our layout and no one conjured up the drive to move them) + poor shooting, resulted in only a handful of teal. On a more positive note, we had about 150 sandhills come in at the end of the night... cool seeing/hearing that many of the big birds. Overall, great to be back out there!
Comin' In Hot
hunter

Postby 2point » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:09 pm

I got my limit of 4 honkers today, and never shot that great. My hunting buddy was giving me crap for hitting them on the second shot 3 times. I gave him crap for only getting 3. :yes: I am getting soft. I forgot my strap (bird holder) so I threw the honkers in my decoy bag. It was a lot tougher walk out then in. My dog is laying on her bed right now, legs straight up and she is snoring. Great times. I need to go to work tomorrow to rest up from the weekend.
2point
hunter

Postby wickedmfer » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:45 pm

Set up on a little slough on sat and ended up with 6. Two mallards and 4 teal. Shot really well... that's a plus. Went out today and someone was already there so I took off to another spot and shot one mallard right off and that was it. So later in the day I decided to go jump shoot my warmwater slough and picked up two more. Jumped a suprising amount but all but one were brown. Pretty fun start to the season.
"X" <-------Best Dog...........EVER!
wickedmfer
hunter

Postby Deer Lodge Josh » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:47 pm

slow opener as expected. saturday was mostly local brown mallards. Sunday had some teal and widgeon around. Got a few birds Still great to get out and have some birds some into the dekes. hope this weeks storm will bring in some new birds. Would glaldly shoot limits of widgeon and gads this weekend. Either way it will be nice to get out again.
Deer Lodge Josh
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:20 pm

Decided to hit it this pm. When i marched out, it was sprinkling. Within 5 minutes: downpour. Birds were working well though. I hate hunting in the rain, but I'll put up with it if birds are working. Only hunted for ~1.5 hrs before I called it as I was soaked to the core and lightning was hitting pretty good. 5 days of the season and 4 days hunting so far, gotta hit 50 days this year :hammer:
wingnutty
hunter

Postby mw961456 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:55 pm

We had a slow opener, nice and warm weather for blind burgers though.
Last edited by mw961456 on Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mw961456
Newb

Postby jhanson1114 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:08 pm

I just moved to MT on Sunday, I am getting antsy to get out. I got permission for some fields that are holding birds, Friday should be a good day I hope.
jhanson1114
hunter

Postby feetdown25 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:40 pm

Went out by myself before class on tuesday. Calm winds and no hunters to prevent the birds from moving around. Managed to scratch out 6 though, widgeon, gaddies, teal. Good numbers around but not flyin much.
feetdown25
hunter

Postby pmahler » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:47 pm

Got out for the first time this afternoon,late, & remembered why I don't hunt early season,...man it was hard to tell a drake from a hen. They were just hammering a field & my buddy invited me out for what was a quick 1.5 hour 2 man mallard limit: 11 drakes & 3 hens between the two of us. Awesome time & great to get out with a buddy who I haven't hunted with in a while.

Looking forward to pheasant opener & some typical October weather.

-Mahls
pmahler
hunter

Next

Return to Montana Duck Hunting