HUNTING TRIP...

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

HUNTING TRIP...

Postby slepe67 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:03 pm

I am coming home this fall, and I'm packin heat. I grew up around Great Falls, and spent most of my time hunting around Sand Coulee area, and Logging Creek (Lewis and Clark Natl Forest), among other areas. I am in the military, and a few of my buddies have shown interest in coming with me. A few years ago, I would have said HELL NO, but, I figure if you're good enough to fly all over Iraq and hunt terrorists with, well, I imagine you can come home and kill an elk with me. Anywho, I digress. I am a resident of MT, they are not. One of them (a Texan) owns land in MT, but not enough to claim Landowner Preference, nor I don't think, will allow him to become a state resident. The other, (a Mainiac), wants to mostly drink and hide from de wemmens for a few weeks. Now, how do I go about getting these guys (and myself) elk tags? It's been over 10 years since I've hunted elk, and I do have friends back home who are avid elk hunters, including my father and uncles. We really don't necessarily have to get a Bull permit, cows will work fine. Is this something I can just get over the counter? I dont think I need a lottery, unless I'm going for a certain area, correct? Thanks, sorry for the long thread. J
slepe67
hunter

Postby nemont » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:54 pm

You can buy an elk tag OTC. Nothing much has changed since you last hunted here other then the price has gone up slightly.

Your NR friends need to get on the FWP website and get in on the the elk/deer combo ($640.25) or the Elk Combo($590.25). The NR application is due on March 15th. He has better odds with the elk/deer combo and for the $50 difference I would say a better deal as well. He can also apply for an A12 cow license.

You will not be able to hunt in the premium units.

Nemont
nemont
hunter

Postby slepe67 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:30 pm

Cool I 'll pass it on, thanks.
slepe67
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting