Hello, new to Montana

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Hello, new to Montana

Postby MTDUCKS » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:15 pm

Just thought I'd say hi. This is my first season duck hunting in Montana. I'm working in Helena and I'm hoping to get into some ducks around the area but I'm willing to drive a distance to hunt some different scenery. If anyone around Helena is looking for someone to go with I'd be up for it. I'll split gas costs and can even drive if needed. My name is Dylan and my phone is 515-782-9967
MTDUCKS
hunter

Re: Hello, new to Montana

Postby phutch30 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:26 pm

Welcome to the site and 2 MT. You shouldnt have to drive far. Theres great hunting very close to you. A little bit of scouting should put you on birds pretty consistantly.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby montana quackhead » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:23 pm

:welcome: :thumbsup:
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter

Postby MTDUCKS » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:20 am

With my job the scouting is a bit tough, I work 11hrs a day. I've got a 14ft v-bottom fishing boat w/18hp, I'll probably get some camo burlap to throw over it and see how that goes, seemed to work fine in Iowa!

I'll probably focus most of my time on the river and Canyon Ferry since I'm new to the area. If anyone wants to get out let me know!
MTDUCKS
hunter

Postby Rat Fink » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:29 am

I live in Helena and duck hunt a lot. Welcome to the area. There is some good hunting nearby for sure. Hit CF on days when it's really windy on the main lake. It can be fabulous action if you hit it right.
Rat Fink
hunter

Postby MTDUCKS » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:30 pm

Rat Fink- thanks for the tip. I was down there yesterday, lots of water. It's a bit different than Iowa though, we have a lot more flooded vegetation, seemed likea lot of rock and barren shoreline there, but I'm sure with that big of water there are bound to be ducks!

Let me know if you ever want to get out!
MTDUCKS
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting