Partner a Better Shot?

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Partner a Better Shot?

Postby darcher » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:40 pm

I returned to Oregon to pick up my duck boats and to have another “opener.” By lunch time my partner had 5 and I had 0. I couldn’t physically raise my shotgun fast enough, let alone follow the “butt, beak, bang!” rule. Three failed shoulder operations have left me angry and frustrated. We were parked side-by-side in the tulles in layout boats that I designed and built. Finally, a spoonbill came to my side straight at me. I was slow to get the gun properly seated on my shoulder, but it was mine! Just as I pulled the trigger, my partner shot. For God’s sake, now I had only an assist! This got me thinking of my hunting partner Bill when I was in my twenties. It was Bill who came up with a rule for a situation when one partner is obviously an inferior pass shooter.

I was the inferior partner. Bill had shot pigeons on a dairy all his life. He was unbelievably fast and accurate. It was clear to the both of us that we enjoyed each other’s company and wanted to hunt together, but it was also clear to Bill that I would never be able to compete with him. He came up with a simple, fun, fair rule. We would alternate on the first shot. The designated shooter would call the shot, including the option of passing the shot over to the other partner or picking a specific bird, if a flock was dropping into our spread. The second shooter would be able to fire as soon as the designated shooter fired. I loved this generous rule because many times I knew I was not capable of taking the shot, and I would just say, “shoot.” What I liked about this sharing was that I could take my time on an easy or moderate shot. Bill did miss shots, and I was always surprised when I pulled and the bird dropped. I always laughed when Bill missed a screaming teal that I called for him to shoot. "Well," I would say, "It's still my shot."

Like me, Bill is in his late sixties. He has had a number of strokes and had to quit hunting a number of years ago. Every year or so I call him, and we talk about old hunts and building boats together. I am going to call him and thank him for being such a great hunting partner so many years ago. I wonder if anyone else has had to deal with a partner that they liked but who just couldn’t shoot worth a damn.
Attachments
lay6.jpg
darcher
hunter

Re: Partner a Better Shot?

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:51 pm

Ya last year down on the horn with Paul, I had two guys with me who were obviously inferior shooters. If I remember I had to loan Paul a box and a half of shells to finish his limit, not sure if the other guy ever got his. :lol3:
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby MontanaMatt » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:35 pm

An old boss of mine was a far superior shot compared to me. Actually younger than me, but still my boss. The dude was stupid good with a shotgun in his hands. I was with him one day when we went to pick up his new shotgun. Ruger Red Label O/U. We headed for the river to shoot some clays. He took the gun out of the shipping carton, cleaned off some packing grease, and loaded it up. I threw clays over the river for an hour or so. He couldn't miss. After many dozen, I took to trying to make the throw as tough as possible. Straight up, straight across like a screamin dove, bouncing down the river bank. I could not throw a clay he couldn't hit. We figured it was near 120 before he missed. I still swear he missed just so I could shoot some myself. It still shocks me to think that a guy could pick up a gun he had never held, and smack that many clays without missing. It was great fun to watch. But he was very generous when we were hunting. He always made sure I got my fair share of the shots. He would smack a bird just to get the stink off of us, then we pretty much took turns. He and I both knew he could out shoot me all day long, but he made sure I got my shots in too. And he was always trying to help me get better. It worked. I will never be in his class as a shooter, but I am much better than I was in those days.
MontanaMatt
hunter

Postby TopWop » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:31 am

When I was at Ennis Lake last Saturday I would hear 12 or more shot volley's. Made me a little nervous putting
my boat in. I usually hunt alone or with my Uncle. He's 72 and rarely misses. We either take turns or have a clear understanding of who's taking what. I may not get a limit but the birds I shoot are mine. I'm not a big fan of the group flock shoot. Seems all the Hens must die of heart attacks, cuz nobody ever admits to shooting them. ;)
TopWop
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:26 pm

Folks, Ray is a habitual liar. I only borrowed a box and I gave a couple shells back......his friend however. LOL I cant lie though I shot like crap. But only started the day with 11 shells. Ray was water swatting his ducks in the decoys. It happens to all of us..even Ray.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:28 pm

Really? Topwop wants to enter a shooting proficiency discussion :lol3: :no:
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby TopWop » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:19 pm

I KNOW my limitations. That's why I don't empty my gun every time birds come in. I like 'em REAL close and cupped up.
I also like hunting with Ray, I don't even need to bring a gun... as no shots will be fired, til after I leave. I am 1 for 1
on the season though 100%
TopWop
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:00 pm

I beg to differ Top as I have seen you empty your gun....more than once and I have actually seen ray shoot a bird that wasnt sitting the the water. lol
phutch30
hunter

Postby TopWop » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:28 pm

I'm not counting the huge turkey on the ground at close range. I guess the cat's out of the bag.
Tomorrow I'll be sky blasting Divers and water swatting coots...3 shells at a time. Might even
bring an extra gun so I don't have to re-load. Just wish I had one that held 3 1/2" ers. If you'll excuse
me I have a few cases of ammo to load up....
TopWop
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:49 pm

I have to appologize for giving you crap. Payback was humbling.
phutch30
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting