Canyon Ferry ducks?

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Canyon Ferry ducks?

Postby MTDUCKS » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:33 pm

Took a drive down to the Canyon Ferry management area today, lots of water with a few boat ramps. Didn't see any ducks, a few geese. Is this area very good? Looking for a place close to Helena to get out on. I went by Helena Reservoir but looks like it may get a lot of pressure?
MTDUCKS
hunter

Re: Canyon Ferry ducks?

Postby GThomp » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:36 pm

I was unaware that you could launch a boat into the "Duck Ponds" area. If you cannot find ducks around Helena, then you have serious problems.
GThomp
hunter

Postby MTDUCKS » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:58 am

Yeah there was a boat ramp on the west side into the ponds then another one on the west side into the pods although the west side one did look a bit shallow right now.

Glad to hear I shouldn't have a problem finding ducks in the area. My job doesn't allow me much time to scout and I hate using my weekends scouting and not hunting/fishing.
MTDUCKS
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:32 am

welcome aboard.

just like anything, it's all relative to the work you put into it. Spend time hunting and you'll find where the ducks want to be. There is no substitute for field time.
wingnutty
hunter

Postby MTDUCKS » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:22 am

Yep, I'll be out this weekend as much as possible, I may even try and sneak out Friday night. I just haven't seen any ducks flying and all I hear about from co-workers and other people is how good the duck hunting is around here!
MTDUCKS
hunter

Postby pmahler » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:32 pm

If you have a boat i would hunt the Missouri river anywhere from the headwaters just north of Teasers (great place to get a tuna sandwich) all the way up to Ulm...could probably skipa a few spots in between but that should provide for planty of waterfowl scenery.

good luck dude & welcome to the site
pmahler
hunter

Postby MTDUCKS » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:05 pm

Looks like I'll be hitting the river this Saturday and looking for ducks!
MTDUCKS
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:51 pm

rivers really don't turn on here until later in the year when the skinny water is all frozen. Right now most of the ducks are on sheet water, shallow ponds, places where they can actively feed and/or loaf without much disturbance.
wingnutty
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:19 pm

Ya that brings up a good point. I dont know what your running for a boat, but if its a prop Id be very cautious on the river. The MO can be pretty tricky in terms of rocks and gravel bars. 1 min your in 10' of water, the next your in 3". I wouldnt run a prop on any of the rivers around here. You may get lucky for awhile and then youll find yourself stranded 10 miles from anywhere
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting