New to the Bozeman area

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

New to the Bozeman area

Postby troyford1991 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:02 pm

Hello I am a freshman at MSU and I am new to the Bozeman area and I love to duck hunt. I have been out a couple of times to do some scouting on where to go shoot some waterfowl and I have not found any areas to hunt. Will someone help me out here please?
troyford1991
Newb

Re: New to the Bozeman area

Postby TopWop » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:40 pm

They are all on campus.... Should be able to limit out with a sack of bread and a stick
TopWop
hunter

Postby GThomp » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:36 am

TopWop wrote:They are all on campus.... Should be able to limit out with a sack of bread and a stick

Thats all you need for sure... I was new to the Bozeman area 3 years ago, and i managed to find plenty of places. Look at some maps, and be prepared to drive 3 hours or more to find the birds. If you are not from MT, there really are no secret holes here. Everything is pretty easy to find if you look. I admit i had some help early on, but i don't hunt any of the places those people showed me. They mostly taught me the kinds of places to scout.
GThomp
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:32 pm

When I first moved to Boz, the farmers all used to let me waterfowl hunt and trap. I almost cry when I drive past belgrade and bozeman and see all the houses and condos in what used to be grain feilds I used to hammer ducks and trap fox in.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby TopWop » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:11 pm

The refuge near Manhatten is a good indicator of birds in the Valley. Right now there aren't many in there.
The Madison used to be really good for early mixed bags. Just found out the "honey Hole" I've had access
to I can't hunt because his kids are into duck hunting now. Going out tomorrow for an exercise in futility.
TopWop
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting