Hunting regulations on Missouri River?

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Hunting regulations on Missouri River?

Postby MTDUCKS » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:08 am

I found a couple spots on the Missouri here close to Helena I want to try, I'm just having a hard time finding any regulations as to how far you have to be from houses, if you can even hunt on that section, ect.

I'm well away from any houses, and the side I will be setting up on has no houses.

I've been all over Montana's Fish and Game site, anyone have any helpful links?

Thanks!
MTDUCKS
hunter

Re: Hunting regulations on Missouri River?

Postby wingnutty » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:01 pm

I believe it is 300' on MTFWP properties, but don't quote me on that. I do not believe there is a minimum distance on private ground. Not sure on Bureau of Rec. ground (which I would assume encompasses a lot of the river/lake areas in your location?).

Just use wise discretion. But, personally, I wouldn't let a person's mcMansion govern my hunting. if someone wants to build a house on the banks of a river or lake, they can put with all the recreational pursuits that go with it :fingerpt:
wingnutty
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:14 pm

There are no legal shooting distances for shotguns for private residences in MT. its pretty much tolerance. You cant shoot in developed campgrounds or as posted for BLM or BOR. If your not on public land you and your dog(if you have one) must stay below thge normal high water mark. If you you or your dog tries to retireve a bird above this its tresspassing. If you dont retrieve it its wanton waste. I would be careful about shooting towards houses, shotgun pellets can travel alot further than you may think.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby mojocoot » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:22 pm

"Just use wise discretion. But, personally, I wouldn't let a person's mcMansion govern my hunting. if someone wants to build a house on the banks of a river or lake, they can put with all the recreational pursuits that go with it"

Couldn't agree more.

We have had some great hunts on the MO down around Craig but have encounted homeowners who don't appreciate hearing gun blasts at first light. As long as you are respectful of their property (not trespassing or shooting towards their buildings) I'd say go for it.
mojocoot
hunter

Postby MTDUCKS » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:33 pm

Double and triple checked the areas, they are BLM land and the nearest house is over 1/2 mile away. I'll be out tomorrow hopefully I at least see some flying!
MTDUCKS
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:12 pm

Couldn't agree more.

We have had some great hunts on the MO down around Craig but have encounted homeowners who don't appreciate hearing gun blasts at first light. As long as you are respectful of their property (not trespassing or shooting towards their buildings) I'd say go for it.

Crybabies. I certainly don't advocate shooting in the direction of houses under any circumstance. But I can't stand the attitude of some folks who build adjacent to public areas, especially recreational areas and then act like they can control our pubic resources their benefit. Kinda like building a house next to a big farm and complaining about the smell :rolleyes:
wingnutty
hunter

Postby darcher » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:42 pm

I asked a state game warden the same question regarding the Clark Fork around Thompson Falls. He told me I could hunt the low water as long as I was shooting out into the river and I was not in the city limits. He said he gets land owners complaining the hunters are too close to their homes and disturbing their peace. He tells them the hunters are within their rights. I too wish I could find this statement supported in some legal description. Every slough I turned up into off the Flathead River above the Sportsman Bridge was lined with mansions. Lucky them but troubling for the future.
darcher
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting