Wanted!

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Wanted!

Postby wickedmfer » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:57 pm

WANTED....pack mule, er I mean young hunting partner... ya that's it. That or more hands. It's getting to be kinda ridiculous how much stuff I carry out into the field to kill birds. Decoys, layout blind, gun, shells...5 trips to the rig each way. Dekes, mojo's all in waders. Definately need a better way to haul this stuff around, ie YHP! :biggrin:
"X" <-------Best Dog...........EVER!
wickedmfer
hunter

Re: Wanted!

Postby phutch30 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:47 pm

Im getting a game cart
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby jhanson1114 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:05 pm

Big game carts are definitely the way to go. Although more hunting partners are sometimes better(but sometimes worse).
jhanson1114
hunter

Postby Will_Hunt_4_Food » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:18 pm

I bought one of those big game carts and I don't know what the heck I was thinking by waiting so long. Makes life way easier!!!! A friend of mine has actually made his into a semi layout blind.
God...Family...the outdoors...the rest is just details.
Will_Hunt_4_Food
hunter

Postby wickedmfer » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:54 am

how are those things when its muddy? not that I'll have to worry about that for long, but I've seen different wheel setups like dual wheels, mud shields. Any of that necessary?
wickedmfer
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:01 am

If it's muddy it's a pain no matter what method of hauling you use. The cart is for sure the way to go.

The carts with larger diameter wheels are better because they ride a little smoother. This makes it seem like they are easier to pull. I really don't think it matters other than the small-wheeled carts bounce around more and that tires the arms out quicker. (opinion)

I don't know if they all have hard rubber tires. Mine did but I liked it.
Someone else liked it more and took it. Should have had a lock but never thought someone would steal something from an armed hunter.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Will_Hunt_4_Food » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:17 pm

I pushed/pulled mine through a fairly soft grain field this morning. It worked really well. No real mud build up. My tires are hard rubber and are about the size of a bmx bike tire. Rides really well. It was definitely a savior this morning. The farmer gave us permission to hunt but on the condition that we didn't drive in the field. It was about 1/2 mile back to the corner of the field the birds were using. Don't think I could have packed everything (blinds, 3 dozen decoys, guns,all that good stuff) in there if it wasn't for the cart.
Will_Hunt_4_Food
hunter

Postby wickedmfer » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:47 pm

You guys are making that cart sound really good. I think I may have to make a trip to cabelas this weekend... like I need an excuse to go to that place. :biggrin:
wickedmfer
hunter

Postby mojocoot » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:47 pm

Have you guys that have used the game carts tried taking them through marshy stuff or a flooded field? I would assume they perform just fine as long as the water is shallow enough but if you have experience differently I'd like to hear it. Was thinking of getting a sled, but a cart sounds more practical.
mojocoot
hunter

Postby mt2pipe » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:51 am

I considered the game cart for years but really wanted something that would haul my canoe also. So long story short for about $110 I ended up with this. I bought a used jog stroller and converted it. I didn't realise until I got it home that it collapsed and the wheels are removable so it folds up and stows in the canoe. It even has a brake. KB
Attachments
cart1.jpg
mt2pipe
hunter

Postby Will_Hunt_4_Food » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:21 pm

That is exactly what I did with ours once the kids all outgrew it. Unfortunately I left it in the back of my truck while getting some grub and some tool took it. Guess they liked it too.
Will_Hunt_4_Food
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting