Down in the Dumps

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Down in the Dumps

Postby darcher » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:33 pm

Well, I have nothing but envy for you guys who are knocking the snot out those ducks. Friday afternoon I set up on the north shore of Flathead Lake. In three hours I never saw any ducks working the area. The next morning I went to Smith Lake, but the ramp is too shallow for my heavy boat so I headed for the Flathead River again. I picked a spot on a slough, but again nothing came by in range. I did hear some shooting close by. By noon I headed out to the southern end of the lake only to discover that it would not be practical to try and launch there either giving my physical constraints. So, I checked out Kicking Horse to see if I should have brought my scull boat instead, but it looked pretty bleak. Sunday I headed to two new ponds the state built near Charlo. I was going to walk the ditch, but the state only has two parking spots along the bigger pond. This is probably a good idea. It looks like I will eventually try and sell my aluminum boat and Mud Buddy. It is just too much boat for a one-armed Jack.

Question: During the past days “hunting” and exploring, I have seen four hunters that are using rotating, flashing tubes or spinning devices. They are not Robbo Ducks, and they look like strobe lights. Two groups of hunters had two or three of these devices going. What are they, and are they effective?
darcher
hunter

Re: Down in the Dumps

Postby pmahler » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:35 pm

I'd be interested in the mud buddy...can we talk on this?
pmahler
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting