Who's going out this weekend?

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Who's going out this weekend?

Postby MTDUCKS » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:28 am

It's the opener for big game this weekend. With this being my first season to hunt big game i'm a bit hesitant to go out in the woods this weekend with it full of hunters. I'm thinking about heading to the water and looking for some ducks, possibly benifiting from some ducks getting spooked off creeks and ponds. I may just pack my rifle in case a nice deer happens to wander by as they seem to do just about every other time I'm duck hunting.

Anyone else skipping the big game opener for some ducks?
MTDUCKS
hunter

Re: Who's going out this weekend?

Postby Will_Hunt_4_Food » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:26 am

I think I will be in the blind as well. Good luck and be safe!!!
God...Family...the outdoors...the rest is just details.
Will_Hunt_4_Food
hunter

Postby TopWop » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:56 pm

I think I'll be running the Gauntlet to the river. The land owner has a group of cheese heads that
come out every year and they shoot those smelly Mule Deer. Opening day sounds like a war zone usually.
I really wish I had access to a place that held some Pheasants. I'd love to get some of those in the fridge.
Rockhead Rocki is def. not an upland dog. There are a few more Ducks in the Valley. Nothing on the
East Gallatin, which is nice.

I will probably throw a couple slugs in my pocket just in case though ;)
TopWop
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:16 pm

Not me. Due to my incompetence as a bowhunter I will be out elk hunting with a rifle on opening day for the first time in 5 years.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby GThomp » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:24 pm

I'll be out... Check your PMs.
GThomp
hunter

Re: I'll make it, but not Dammit!

Postby darcher » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:01 pm

I'm looking forward to hunting with my 30-year old son, a senior at the UM. It has been a few years. I don't expect much action on Flathead Lake, but it will be nice sharing hot chocolate and donuts and spending some real quality time. Best of all I will have some help launching my Mud Buddy boat. Now, if we can just give Buddy some retrieves. Opening day in Oregon at a launch site there were three dog owners yelling out the name Buddy. One guy found his Buddy in the dark next to us. I said, "That's an original name." He replied that he thought there was at least two other Buddy dogs, and I laughed and said I was one of the three who was calling Buddy. When I was a young man, I heard a man call his dog by his assigned name. "Dammit, come!" Every new lab my wife vetoes the name Dammit. It has so many possibilities.
darcher
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:17 pm

No ducks for me this weekend
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby jhanson1114 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:23 am

All ducks and pheasants for me this weekend.
jhanson1114
hunter

Postby MTDUCKS » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:12 am

With all the hunters out in the woods, does anyone notice if this helps getting some ducks moving around?
MTDUCKS
hunter

Postby feetdown25 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:19 am

Even though hunting's been pretty good, i'm getting really sick of hunting with clouds, fog, and no wind. Would really like to see some 10 mph N/NW winds sometime soon. But i'll be out this weekend wind or not.
feetdown25
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting