Duck Hunting Forum banner

I couldnt believe it!

4K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  hntndux 
#1 ·
long time lurking, gotta say i love the site!
for the first post i gotta tell ya bout my morning. this morning i got a late start, so instead of taking the boat out i decided to just walk into a local WMA, which was unusually crowded. I got the decoys set up and was watching as two teal landed to the left of my deeks well out of range. i sat quietly and waited and sure enough they decided to swim over to the spread, they were right in front of me and coming into range when i started to hear a rustling to my right, all of a sudden boom boom boom...two idiots from down shore snuck over and shot directly over my decoys at these two hen teal...***! i stood up and asked what they were thinking...honestly who in theyre right mind would consider shooting over somebody elses decoys!
sorry for the rant but, has this ever happened to anyone else? i was blown away!

#5 ·
I wish I still had the decoys from Kelly Island. More of them had holes than didn't.
One time got really scary, we had to jump up and holler. Couple of kids put a big sneak
on our spread. Also had my deeks slooshed at that fishing access at French Town.
That one I made the guy give me some money. Also a few years ago at Central Park
(total tourist water) I had some guy that looked like just won every item at a
Pheasants Forever banquet shoulder his gun on my Mojo. Asked him just how long
he thought that duck was going to hover before it landed. I thought I was going to end
up on the news on that one. He continued to stand about 50yds from my spread in
bright orange. Told me I didn't own the River and he could stand anywhere he wanted.
We went back and forth for a while, he finally sauntered away. I was so close to start
chucking rocks at him. I'm sure I could dig up a few more, those are off the top of my head.
I do want to say that most of those instances were lazy mans hunts, close to town or
near tourist water. I always new to be extra aware of who or what was around.

Anyone hunt Kelly Island or that access at FrenchTown? I haven't been up there
hunting in about 8 or 9 years.

#6 ·
Those types of people i call Crawlers...or ditch dogs. They are no talent hacks that dont deserve to be called waterfowl hunters.... I couldnt imagine shooting a duck or goose that i didnt call or decoy into the spread, either water or field. A few years back, a Crawler shot and killed Avery pro-staffer Josh Leger. I think he unloaded his .22 into Josh's field spread from the ditch. Hit Josh in the head.
I hope you gave those idiots a piece of your mind.

#7 ·
"A few years back, a Crawler shot and killed Avery pro-staffer Josh Leger. I think he unloaded his .22 into Josh's field spread from the ditch."

That is a scary reality that I have never given much thought to when hunting in the decoys vs on the edge of a spread. With how realistic decoys have become, especially field decoys for geese, I am honestly a little surprised that these types of things haven't happened more often.

Never had anyone sneak up and actually shoot my decoys though....maybe it's a sign I need to upgrade my spread. :biggrin:

#8 ·
Just last Sunday I had two guys come up over a berm behind me and draw their guns over me at my decoys, I had to yell and they honestly went "Damn, I swear those were real!" I'm sorry, but if I'm jumping ducks off a pond or creek, I usually know if they are real or not... A sure sign if they are real is when they ARE NOT MOVING!

I would have gone ape sh!t on those guys who fired into your spread...

#9 ·
Many years ago I was on an island on the Flathead River and we had goose shells out on the ice. We limited out, so my buddy went to get the canoe. I was standing on the ice picking up the shells when 2 idiots in a canoe started shooting at them. My gun was still in the blind good thing or I would have returned fire, some how I wasn't hit. I started dropping f bombs they started paddling fast down the river and apologizing. We only had out 2 dozen shells in a small area and they never saw me standing there picking them up??? Unbelieveable.

#10 ·
I've never had my decoys shot... If someone ever shot in my direction though i think i may return fire. Usually i have a pistol in the boat just in case some unexpected scenario occurs, where an old fashion marsh argument gets out of hand. I just don't trust the average moron with a 12 gauge shotgun.

#11 ·
A few years back over on the Yellowstone East of Billings my dad and I were set up in a beat field a couple hundred yards from a ditch. We has shot a couple birds and were bsing when a car came into the private field by taking down a gate. We didn't hear it until it was almost parallel to us along the ditch we sat up. As we did the rifle barrel slid out the drivers side window. I stood up to make my silhouette known not knowing if it would deter or result in me being shot. Luckily they figured out that geese don't wear camo. The gun went back in and they slammed the accelerator. Ive had people pull a rifle on me in rifle season to where I had to take my vest off and drape it over the barrel and wave for surrender to deter their aiming. Laying in the goose decoys was the scaredest I've been though. People are just flipping stupid. It always amazes me there isn't more accidental shootings in Montana. Nowi always position myself in a safe position from the decoys whether on water or land. Better to not have a shot opportunity than to end up dead.

#13 ·
I have had people walk up and start shooting over my decoys.
Also I have had people walk up next to me and start casting a fly rod into my decoy spread, while I am sitting there holding a shotgun. That might have been the most blatant, idiot thing I have ever seen a liberal do, until the following.

Sitting in Lee Metcalf years ago in the blind, calling ducks, and two greenie weenie dip$hits (probably from the University of Montana), came running in with a flag that said stop killing harmless animals, hunters orange on, and start harassing the duck hunters in the refuge by running around their blinds waving the flag. I wont admit or say what I did, but I can tell you that the two of them left in a hurry.

#14 ·
montanamallard said:
I have had people walk up and start shooting over my decoys.
Also I have had people walk up next to me and start casting a fly rod into my decoy spread, while I am sitting there holding a shotgun. That might have been the most blatant, idiot thing I have ever seen a liberal do, until the following.

Sitting in Lee Metcalf years ago in the blind, calling ducks, and two greenie weenie dip$hits (probably from the University of Montana), came running in with a flag that said stop killing harmless animals, hunters orange on, and start harassing the duck hunters in the refuge by running around their blinds waving the flag. I wont admit or say what I did, but I can tell you that the two of them left in a hurry.
haha nice! If any tree hugging hippies ever do that to me it won't work out well for them! :hammer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.