Placing mojo's and goose decoys

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Placing mojo's and goose decoys

Postby MTDUCKS » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:49 am

I've got a pair of Mojo's coming from Cabelas (today hopefully). How does everyone run their pair of mojo's? I'll have a dozen decoys out and 6 goose floaters.

Anyone have and suggestion on how to set up the Mojo's? I was thinking putting them near each other and getting an extention pole and staggering them at different heights. I was also thinking about picking up another dozen duck dekes but I'm not a big fan of big spreads early in the season.

Where would you suggest putting the goose decoys in realtion to the duck spread? I don't really plan on pulling in any geese in the area I am but I want them out there as confidence decoys for the ducks.
MTDUCKS
hunter

Re: Placing mojo's and goose decoys

Postby phutch30 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:36 pm

You always put the spinna where you want the ducks shot. Also you may have differnet luck than anyone I hunt with but your success on geese with a spinner is likly to suck. They dont like the spinners at least anywhere Ive hunted them. You will get the odd one but most will not work in with it running.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby MTDUCKS » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:18 pm

Thanks Phutch, that's where I've always put the spinners, just wasn't sure if anyone else had any better suggestions.

I agree with the geese not liking the spinners, they don't seem to care for them much.
MTDUCKS
hunter

Postby jhanson1114 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:01 am

In the field I put the spinning wing close to me so I can easily turn them off when I see/hear geese. When hunting water I turn them off when when the geese start to fly again late morning.
jhanson1114
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:03 pm

We just leave them on....then we dont have to deal with dead geese.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby jhanson1114 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:57 am

Right now in Great Falls all I see and shoot are geese. It seems like most of the ducks are gone(or on private sheet water).
jhanson1114
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting