Some movement?

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Some movement?

Postby MTDUCKS » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:48 am

I was sitting in my recliner last night and heard some honking, stepped outside and there was a TON of geese passing over, sounded like snows, high pitched squeeking. With this cold front, think some fresh birds will come down? Of course they will because it's my Saturday to work :rolleyes:
MTDUCKS
hunter

Re: Some movement?

Postby Rat Fink » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:02 am

Heard a ton of swans moving through Helena last night. Birds are definitely starting to move.
Rat Fink
hunter

Postby jhanson1114 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:57 pm

I was standing outside last night I heard swans and snows as well. Saw many new and smaller geese move in today.
jhanson1114
hunter

Postby MTDUCKS » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:32 am

Well the 100+ geese and ducks that were hanging in the quarry 50yds from my house have vanished to, so there must be some movement.
MTDUCKS
hunter

Postby montana bound » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:23 am

Had a huge flock of Sandhills land on the property behind us the other day.
Last edited by montana bound on Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
You get out of a dog , what you put into a dog!
montana bound
hunter

Postby TopWop » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:35 am

Had a huge dish of Rigatoni and Italian sausage last night.... expecting some movement anytime now.

As far as birds go, there are about 500 ducks on the Pond near Griffin.
TopWop
hunter

Postby pmahler » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:28 pm

oh no, looks like the birds all already moved south...crap! Season is over
pmahler
hunter

Postby K-Town » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:53 pm

A mondo wad of Grebes showed up this week, a very sporty bird in flight that is also fine table fair to boot! Who wants to sleuce a bunch with me????
K-Town
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:25 pm

I just got back from a scouting trip on the Ashuelot/Fairfield Bench including Freezeout and saw about 2000 swans and just about that many snowies. The snowies have been here a while judging by their flight pattern coming off the lake. Good weekend to pop a deer or antelope because the birds aren't here yet.
Ice on the smaller impoundments but the larger pieces of water are wide open.
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:51 pm

A mondo wad of Grebes showed up this week, a very sporty bird in flight that is also fine table fair to boot! Who wants to sleuce a bunch with me????

:lol3: :lol3: I love grebe. What say we slay a mess of um and update our facebook pages with kill pics! Tastes just like whooping crane.
wingnutty
hunter

Postby Wolf777 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:47 pm

Anybody ever have luck getting on fields over by freezeout? I've never shot a snow and would really like to. We see them on the Yellowstone occasionally but they rarely want to sit over there. I wouldn't mind going to the lake to get one, but I'm not a crowd guy. The other reason is that I have access to lots of tyvek and have started making socks and would love to find a field and some guys to try and get a good shoot. If you hunt the lake with a kayak or canoe can you get away from some of the crowds?
Wolf777
hunter

Postby Deer Lodge Josh » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:21 pm

some new birds today. Couldn't get out until 2pm. Widgeon and full color greendheads too. flights of mixed sized birds. Odd sight today was all the hooded mergs. They were even in the backwaters on my place. Once the sun came out the birds stopped moving. Thankfully got two drake widgeon by 3pm. Two weeks ago the birds were dumb today (even had birds splash in the dekes before we could stand to shoot) today they required some work.
Deer Lodge Josh
hunter

Postby GThomp » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:23 am

Wolf777 wrote:Anybody ever have luck getting on fields over by freezeout? I've never shot a snow and would really like to. We see them on the Yellowstone occasionally but they rarely want to sit over there. I wouldn't mind going to the lake to get one, but I'm not a crowd guy. The other reason is that I have access to lots of tyvek and have started making socks and would love to find a field and some guys to try and get a good shoot. If you hunt the lake with a kayak or canoe can you get away from some of the crowds?

The only place i have ever seen snows was around ennis. We shot a couple of them out there last year. They are there for a week and then gone. You are not really missing anything not shooting a snow. The only way i enjoy snow hunting is shooting the big numbers on the eastern shore of MD... They taste like crap as well.
GThomp
hunter

Postby K-Town » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:02 pm

Had a excellent shoot this morning on a backwater. If we werent shooting blanks we would of had full limits, but we were only a couple short of a 4 man limit, oh well. All mallards :beer:

K-Town
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:14 pm

I'd say some fresh birds moved in, but the wind didn't hurt either. Did an afternoon hunt over water and killed 4 greenheads and 3 widgeon. Should have held out for 7 greenheads as they were continually cupped and committed all afternoon :fingerhead:

It's actually my first limit of the year after 14 hunts thus far, but I've been hunting over water.
wingnutty
hunter

Postby K-Town » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:26 pm

Wacked a bunch of widgeon this morning but only a few mallards.....but we found where they were hiding after doing some scouting after the hunt.
K-Town
hunter

Postby feetdown25 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:07 pm

Look at the weather this weekend. That combined with the temps in canada will have to get em moving down. :thumbsup:
feetdown25
hunter

Postby K-Town » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:42 pm

Had a good shoot near the lake this afternoon, most of them look to be locals....11 greenhead and 3 widg.

K-Town
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:09 pm

Shot a nice limit of mostly widgeon this am. Saw a few groups of high fliers.
wingnutty
hunter

Postby Will_Hunt_4_Food » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:21 pm

Shot my limit of geese this morning...took all of 5 minutes. Did see a couple of big flocks of ducks...appeared to be new arrivals to me but I didn't get a chance to ask!!!

God...Family...the outdoors...the rest is just details.
Will_Hunt_4_Food
hunter

Postby MTDUCKS » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:37 pm

Man I hope I can bag a Elk tomorrow then hit the water the next two days for some ducks...
MTDUCKS
hunter

Postby Fowl Intentions » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:10 pm

Geese on the wood pile, nice touch.
Fowl Intentions
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:32 pm

Apparently I suck at elk hunting, but ducks are another story. Saw a few today :wink:
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:31 pm

Geese on the wood pile, nice touch

My thoughts exactly, excellent! :thumbsup:

I struck out this am, but not for failure to see birds, just couldn't pull them away from tthe birds on the water. Soooo, I better go hit it in the pm! Later boys, wish me luck :hammer:
wingnutty
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:14 pm

It looks like we got a little push of birds into the valley and I cant hunt them!
The elk are moving pretty good though. Ive got a guy I did a swap hunt with here. This am like yesterday I dragged him up to the meadow that Ive been watching elk in for a week. We got there 5 min too late yesterday morning and watched them going into the trees. Today at first light/first glance, it appeared empty, but only cause we had walked right past a large group on the way in. A little back tracking and we were in buisness. In a little basin were 55-60 head, (I stopped counting cows after 37 but saw more) 8 spikes, and 6 legal branched antler bulls, 2 were 6x6 and one of those was pushing 270. Snuck into 225 yards got him set up with shooting sticks. The biggest bull turned broadside and stood there. Bang........swing and a miss.

I could see my truck about 3/4 mile away and there was a nice road 500 yards below up that led downhill all the way to it. I had mixed feelings about the miss. LOL On one hand I didnt have to pack. On the other hand the next chance isnt likly to be as easy to get out as this one was.

Oh well the pressures off me. He had an excellent chance at an above average bull for this area. It was a easy shot with a gun he shot a 1" group with at 100yards on friday. I told him we will keep looking but I can almost assure him we wont have that kind of chance again.

I really wish I was duck hunting!!!!
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Next

Return to Montana Duck Hunting