I guess I'm now a "real man"

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

I guess I'm now a "real man"

Postby phutch30 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:22 pm

Well I found a group on Tue morning at first light feeding in a meadow on top of a mountian. I watched them from about 4 miles away as they worked back into a north facing timber patch. I could tell there was a bull but not really how big as I was looking into the rising sun. Went back on Wed morning and they were working the same ridge. So started hiking Thurs morning at 440am and at 715 I was up on the ridge 100 yards from the edge listning to at least 3 bulls bugling. At 725 I worked to the edge of the meadow and saw 2 bulls right away. As I moved in to get a better look I saw there were 4 bulls off to the side of about 30 head with this bull in with the cows. They were moving towards me and moving up the ridge about 300 yards out. I could see this bull but in the light I really couldnt tell if he was something I wanted to pack that far. I kept seeing great tops and then weak bottoms. About 10 min later the herd was 147 yards out and I could see he would meet what I had set for a min size for this years bull. Hes about a 270-280 bull. He has great tops with 17" swords and 10" 5ths and about 12" of whale tail. Spent all day yesterday shuttling parts up and over a mountain and finnally at about 4pm had to admit I needed help. So 4 of us went in today and brought out the rest. Man! the things a bull elk will convince a man to do. I hope I have feeling back in my legs by Mon. Getting too old for this stuff!
Now gotta fill my cow tag in such a way that it falls or rolls into the back of my truck.

....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Re: I guess I'm now a "real man"

Postby pmarauder » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:36 pm

Nice work....Im heading out at 4:30am myself
pmarauder
hunter

Postby goosenoose » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:38 pm

Very nice bull. Looks better than 280.
Goose hunters shoot bigger loads.
goosenoose
hunter

Postby Wolf777 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:32 pm

Nice bull Paul. Congrats. Too bad he broke that third because he has beautiful 5ths.It always hurts the day after, but tastes great the rest of the year. I've had about the same luck as you this year. I had 4 bulls in close during archery season one of which was a nice 6 point at 15 yards that I couldn't get drawn on. I am not too thrilled about avoiding the crowds during season. In two days of hunting I've seen more people out than I did the entire bow season. I do have a region 4 cow tag for private and DNRC lands so I'm hoping to find somebody to let us shoot a wheat fed cow to fill the freezer with. :smile:
Wolf777
hunter

Postby K-Town » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:55 pm

Nice! Atleast you didnt have a close encounter with a sow grizzly and her 2 cubs when you were packing it out like I did on Wed. morning... :eek: :eek:
K-Town
hunter

Postby hntndux » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:17 am

Nice work Paul... You are now a real man in my book.....Makes mt back hurt reading the story
hntndux
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:11 pm

I must admit, this wasnt the first time Ive had a chance to shoot this bull. He is the one I was talking about in my "Confucius says" post that I passed up at 30 yards the second week, cause a 320+ herd bull was pushing him off his herd. Guess it was fate he was gunna be mine.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:21 pm

Nice bull hutch!
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby TopWop » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:33 pm

Very nice, Man Among MEN. I bet you drink Dos Equis.
Do they have anything in a calf available? Possibly a cow
in a small or medium? Preferably close to a road with a zipper
on it's belly.
TopWop
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:10 pm

Top if I can find one Ill let you know....via picture. LOL
phutch30
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting