Hebgen Anyone?

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Hebgen Anyone?

Postby TopWop » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:17 am

Anyone hunt Hebgen recently? I guess it used to draw a lot of different species.
I have a john boat with just an electric trolling motor. Anyone that's interested
or has more info let me know. My Uncle tells me about awesome shoots back in the day.
TopWop
hunter

Re: Hebgen Anyone?

Postby GThomp » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:53 am

Been hunting it for a couple weeks. If you go out there i have the red f-150 and will be there this AM. If the wind blows hard on the lake it gets pretty rough, so make sure you have enough boat for it. It is only good if the weather is bad. If the weather is good, you'll shoot a few at first light, but they will all go hang out in the middle. Its really hit or miss. I predict however tomorrow will be awesome provided my boat can make it across. Another word to the wise... It is knee deep shallow for 300 yards off the shore. So be careful if you are motoring toward the shore, and check depth often. Also you need to use TONS of decoys to get the birds in.
GThomp
hunter

Postby TopWop » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:12 pm

Thanks, that was actually very useful info. Doesn't sound like I have the right
set up this year. I really appreciate the no BS informative answer. !!!!!
Good Luck out there. I've been fishing there and it can get ugly in a hurry.
TopWop
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:06 pm

me and GThomp battled the wind, but we made it across the lake and only took two waves in the boat. the birds were predictable, and sat in the middle of the lake again, with a few dumb ones cruising the shores only to get mowed down when they passed us. we had to keep throwing the decoys back out because they kept getting pushed back to the boat before light. the waves were decent, about 1.5 to 2 foot rollers.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Return to Montana Duck Hunting