Public Land

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Public Land

Postby jhanson1114 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:37 pm

I found some block land to hunt. However it is a safety zone, most of them i hace seen are shotgun or archery only. This one is "no hunting or tresspassing near licestock or residences". My question is can i hunt this if i am legal distance away from steuctures? Also, i can not find anywhere legal distances from structures and roads. Can anyone lead me in the right direction? I have been searching the fish and gane site with not luck!

Thanks

Justin
jhanson1114
hunter

Re: Public Land

Postby MTDUCKS » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:36 pm

Not sure of the distances, but in those situations not really worth the trouble for a couple ducks. I've found several like that but decided it's not worth the risk.
MTDUCKS
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:24 pm

Assuming you aren't talking about Block Mgt ground, then I believe the safety zone is like 100 ft on state lands, but don't quote me on it?

If you are talking block mgt ground then I would respect the landowners desires and not even think about hunting near no shooting zones.
wingnutty
hunter

Postby jhanson1114 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:51 pm

I am talking about a BMA, I think the restrictions are because there is a house at one corner of the BMA which a not even close to where the birds are.
jhanson1114
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:18 am

If its posted as a safty zone then its not in the BMA.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:08 am

If it is a BMA, which the landowner voluntarily enrolled in the program then why on earth would you even think about hunting in an area that they don't want you hunting :huh: It ISN"T public ground, it is private ground in which the landowners have graciously allowed hunters to recreate on. We lose good BMA ground every year because people don't respect the properties.

I would suggest you look elsewhere to hunt your ducks. Or, go talk to the landowner and don't rely on a hunting forum to provide you permission/justification to hunt in a restricted area. :help:
wingnutty
hunter

Postby 2point » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:00 pm

A lot of the Block Managements I have hunted have safety zones around the houses and barns, they are marked on the map and also have signs designating safety zones but passed these zones it is regular block management and huntable. The ones I have seen are for big game hunting and they don't want rifles being shot close to houses. I would double check the block management to see if waterfowl were allowed, if so you can hunt them but not in the safety zone I would bet.
2point
hunter

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:07 pm

I would ask the damn property owner. Its his land, his right to set whatever rules and regs he likes, including taking it out of block management and leasing it to a outfitter because somebody thought they were within their rights to set up and shoot inside their safety zone. "Geez sorry buddy that your kids were out playing in the yard and got pellets rained down on them but I was 100 yards from your house and only using a shotgun not a rifle. I asked if i could on duck chat"
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby Frenchy » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:52 pm

Gotta reiterate what others have said. Block Management Land is NOT Public Land. Its private land that the public is allowed to hunt soley through the kindness of the landowner that elected to enroll his land in the block management program.

As far as the Safety Zones go, the ones ive seen are no hunting period. Not weapons restricted hunting. Explict landowner permission would be the only way you could hunt that spot.
Frenchy
hunter

Postby Will_Hunt_4_Food » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:28 am

Best thing is to just ask. Don't assume...don't guess...don't regret. BLM land is not public land...it is private land that the owners grant us permission to hunt by following certain guidelines set up by the owners. Some are walk in only areas where no motor vehicles are allowed...some are that you must gain permission each and every day to hunt so there are not too many hunters on the property at one time. It is our responsibly as hunters to know...not interpret or guess what these guidelines are. I have a chunk of what used to be block management that i have hunted for years for dear and elk. The owners are very insistent about not going into the areas that they have marked as safety zones. They do this because they do not want people shooting rifles near their houses or structures and most of the time there is cattle in the area. I have always respected their rights as owners where as others have not. Unfortunately they decided to take their property out of the program because of people just doing whatever they wanted by not respecting the safety zones and by not following the guidelines set for accessing the land such as signing in every time the land is hunted. I thought I had lost a great place to hunt however...about a week into archery season that year I received a call from the property owners. They invited me and my family to come and hunt on their property based solely on the fact that I was always respectful to them and their property. We were the only ones granted permission. I even got permission to hunt in their "safety zone" by asking them if they would oppose to me hunting in that area with my bow instead of a rifle. They said that I could absolutely hunt it with my bow and that they had never even thought about that because no one ever asked. Now not only did I get to go back to the place I loved to hunt but I also got to hunt in what the critters thought were their little sanctuary. I have take 3 150+ class white tails out of that safety zone with my bow and I expect to do the same again this year.
God...Family...the outdoors...the rest is just details.
Will_Hunt_4_Food
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:07 am

Will_Hunt_4_Food wrote:BLM land is not public land...it is private land that the owners grant us permission to h

BLM land is actually public land.....I think you were talking about BM
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby Frenchy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:12 am

Its funny how many times I hear Block Managment Land refered to as BLM land.
Frenchy
hunter

Postby Will_Hunt_4_Food » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:35 am

CRAP!!!! Yes that is what I meant...I do that all the time.
God...Family...the outdoors...the rest is just details.
Will_Hunt_4_Food
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting