Hubs and other safety reminders

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Hubs and other safety reminders

Postby darcher » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:02 am

Regretfully I am one of those people who do not take care of my equipment. The result was having to replace an axle and a hub on my boat trailer. I will pass on a reminder to those who tend to be like me and forget to re-pack your bearings. (Yeah, there are only a few of us in this category who are not mechanical and tend to forget or ignore.) The man who sold me the axle said that he re-packs his trailer hubs at the end of the season. This way there is no water sitting in the hub and freezing, which in itself causes damage. The other damage is from rust. I need to learn how to do this because the cost is a factor now that I am retired.

The other thing I often forget is to unplug my lights before I immerse the trailer. With cold weather also comes a reminder to prepare for the unexpected. I am going through a checklist because I forgot something yesterday.
darcher
hunter

Re: Hubs and other safety reminders

Postby phutch30 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:56 pm

Get some bearing buddies (about $35) and pump a couple squirts of marine grease into them after every trip.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby Wolf777 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:51 am

We always keep a gun in the boat so we can lube the motor and the trailer after every day on the water. It only takes a minute at the end of the day.
Wolf777
hunter

Postby darcher » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:16 pm

Those are really good ideas that I will follow. I even found the old gun from years back. Now if I can find a deep launch site in the Missoula area to switch out trailers. My big boat trailer is too high. In fact it is five inches higher than the old trailer I bought this summer for my scull boat. If I am to try the Mud Buddy on the Flathead or Clark Fork River, I need to get the boat lower to the water.
darcher
hunter

Postby GThomp » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:16 pm

It is important to pack the rear bearing and change the bearing seal after a while as well. Just pumping occasional grease into the bearing will get you in the end. I am bad about this as well, and i know how to do it. Breaking stuff at 0 dark 30 is no fun.
GThomp
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting