New to Duck Hunting

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

New to Duck Hunting

Postby Creek Bottom » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:40 pm

Hello everyone,

I've lurked on this forum on and off for a while and this season finally decided to take up duck hunting. Grew up in Maryland and moved to Montana about 3 years ago. Kinda of ironically, I never really hunted waterfowl back in MD, except one goose hunt. I was a big dove hunter though. So this year when I'm not hunting bowhunting elk, calling coyotes and foxes, trapping, ice fishing, or fly fishing. I've been sitting over a dozen decoys trying to shoot ducks (Pretty unsuccessfully, I might add :tongue: ).

Anyway just wanted to say hello, and I'm sure I'll have more questions as the season goes on. And if anyone wants a younger fellow to hunt with (i.e. haul gear, retrieve birds :biggrin: ) I'd love to learn from you guys and meet new hunting friends.
Creek Bottom
Newb

Re: New to Duck Hunting

Postby MTDUCKS » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:04 am

Welcome to the board, lost of good info here! Sounds like your duck first year duck hunting is going like my first year of elk hunting... :lol3:
MTDUCKS
hunter

Re: New to Duck Hunting

Postby darcher » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:12 pm

Duck hunting is like gambling. You hit the jack pot one day and it makes up for a succession of disappointing days. Today my 30-year old son couldn't do anything right. He was out of position, distracted, forget once to re-load and generally just not prepared when the mallards dropped into our set. When he was ready, they were hens. I'll bet he could have taken ten hen mallards today at fifteen yards. Me, I don't know what I was doing right, but I hope it continues next time. I dropped five ducks, everyone on my first shot. If you think you might gravitate to a boat/blind, I would be happy to share some of the things I have learned. Send me a private message. I would be happy to share some of my ideas, but I am certainly not an accomplished hunter, even after so many years. I guess it is the teacher in me. (retired)

Dave Archer
Florence, MT
darcher
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting