Coot Mounts?

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Coot Mounts?

Postby MThuntr » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:30 pm

A buddy and I were eating a post duck hunt dinner which I managed to get my first gadwall drake. I plan on having it mounted. He asked me if I had ever seen or heard of somebody mounting a coot. Completely perplexed I had to answer, "No but I bet somebody has."

So how about it has anybody ever seen a coot mount? Don't be shy...perhaps a pic of yours?
MThuntr
hunter

Re: Coot Mounts?

Postby wingnutty » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:26 pm

Hmm, no, no I haven't. But Quack did bring back a coot yesterday afternoon that he found in the cattails while I was setting the dekes.

Is the gadwall decent? I've seen some drake gaddy mounts taken from MT in later Dec and they are absolutely spectacular. There aren't too many around then though and I've never shot a late season gaddy, plenty of early to mid-season birds, but never later in the season.
wingnutty
hunter

Postby MThuntr » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:29 pm

I bet he was tickled to have that stinky coot! I actually found a website that had coot mount pics...ODD! :huh: Mark's dog just about drug me into a pond a few weeks ago chase one down.

It's not a super great bird but Gadwalls are pretty scarce here even early in the season so I saved it. My glorious shooting meant he's not shot up. I really like how they look because they aren't too showy. It's funny because we haven't gotten into the mallards like we usually do.
MThuntr
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:45 pm

I would agree. Gaddies are definitely one of my favorites. A good gaddy mount is pretty sweet!
wingnutty
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:41 pm

I had my wigeon picked out Saturday morning, shot twice in front of him :rolleyes: Turns out you don't have to lead 'em when they are only 15 yards away...
Bulldog0156
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting