Mid Morning Hunts

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Mid Morning Hunts

Postby montanamallard » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:10 am

In the lull between our resident ducks and northerns arriving I have been going out for an hour or two and hunting from around 10-noonish. It has been working somewhat well. The birds in the Bitterroot aren't hitting the fields like they were and what little grain there was is now plowed under for the most part, same with the corn. The mallards are in their little hidey holes avoiding pressure. Nice quiet little hunt with Willie my lab, 6 mallards in an hour in a little Bitterroot backwater of the river. Fish rising, and ducks falling. 3 dekes and very little calling, hidden real well. Looking forward to a real push of birds, and or these residents getting froze out of their hiding spots. I had to shoot the hen for Phutch. Once I did, however, I put myself in the penalty box and left for the day.
Attachments
Willie with 6.jpg
Willie and 6
Slough 3 decoys.jpg
3 dekes
montanamallard
hunter

Re: Mid Morning Hunts

Postby jberg440 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:18 am

Nice work! You guys didnt get any snow this weekend over in the bitterroot?
The man banging on the door kept yelling "Alcohol, Tobbaco, and Firearms!" I just assumed it was more supplies.
jberg440
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:47 pm

10 bucks says that hen was the first bird on the strap!
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby montanamallard » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:47 pm

I doubled up her and a drake, sun was right in my eyes, and my dog ate my homework. lol. no snow over here, balmy.40-45 every day. freezes at night but needs to stay below 32 over here for about two days to get the hidey holes froze up, then its good on the river for a few days, then we pray for northerns.

phutch whats next for you, squirrels, are you going to ever get back duck hunting?
montanamallard
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:28 pm

That's excellent! I think a lot of those times of day are severely overlooked. Evenings and late mornings can sometimes be quite productive!
wingnutty
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:28 pm

Im going to try to sneak out for a quickie before I leave for my Alberta whitetail hunt on Friday. Wish I coulda hunted on Sat. Several thousand snows and 3 blues on one off the stock ponds I got permision to hunt.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby pmahler » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:48 am

I just got back from Miami for a week, been Duckin 3x. This year & killing me. Glad all are doing so well.
pmahler
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting