Found some birds today

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Found some birds today

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:23 pm

Went out to the spot yesterday and couldn't figure out why I couldn't find the field the ducks were using. I knew there were a bunch in the area. Decided to follow Phutch's advice and glass from my truck. Saw a couple groups in the air, closed the distance, waited till I spotted another group, closed the gap again. Finally drove around the other side of the river and came around a bend and promptly drove right into the damn ditch, birds birds and more birds. Must have been a couple thousand ducks and just as many geese. Drove to the nearest house and knocked on the door, no answer. Waited till after dark and nobody showed.
Got the call from Pmaler that he was in town and wanted to hunt today so took the day off work and went out to try and get permission. Talked to the landowner I usually hunt on and he said he thought the owner of the other place was elk hunting. Decided to head over anyway. Pulled up and he was there. Said we could head out for the afternoon. Called Pete and told him to hurry as there was already several hundred birds on the ground. Packed in a dozen mallard shells, two blinds and a couple of spinners and kicked all the birds out of the field. Birds were trying to get in while we set up. Decided to shoot one bird per group and take turns shooting. Broke up the time when Pete and his dog went to pick up a cripple, stayed in the layout sitting up and taking pics of birds landing right in front me, apparantly the fat guy in the blue sweatshirt didn't bother them.

From the time I introduced myself to the guy till we were leaving with our limit I think was like three hours total time. We were limited out by 3:45. Could have filled five to ten limits easy. After picking up the feild was loaded with birds again. Who says you cant find birds, knock on a door and hunt? Bottle of whiskey will of course be dropped off tomorrow.

Sorry for some reason cant get the pics from my new camera to load on here for some reason.
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Re: Found some birds today

Postby pmahler » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:08 pm

Thanks again Ray Ray, just an awesome day. was one of those spectacles where you just shake your head & laugh. 5 of the easiest greenheads i've ever taken I might say.

Nothing better than knocking on a landowners door,getting permission & having a plan come together in the end.

Thanks very much Ray, wish we could do it again tomorrrow.

-Peter
pmahler
hunter

Postby jberg440 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:14 am

this post is worthless with out GPS cords, and the home owners phone number!
The man banging on the door kept yelling "Alcohol, Tobbaco, and Firearms!" I just assumed it was more supplies.
jberg440
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:51 am

Once again no invite for me....
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:31 am

Sorry Hutch just kind of figured you were busy hand to hand fighting a 800 pound grizzly with a schrade pocket knife clenched between your teeth up in Canada. Or maybe hanging from a 400 foot cable attached to your nut sack glassing for elk in the wilderness area. Pete was already here and like I said from talking to the guy till limiting was like three hours. Not sure you could have made it.
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:13 am

I was hunting this am. Just givin ya crap. I left the house at 515 and was home with 6 greenheads and a drake gaddie by 820 and at work before 9.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby MTDUCKS » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:41 am

It's posts like these that make it such a hard decision on what to do this weekend... :help:
MTDUCKS
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:31 pm

Lol, nice work guys! I think I'm definitely going to get out this Saturday morning. I will be frustrated with 4 legged critters again by then. :wink:
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby montanamallard » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:49 pm

Phutch you have a job?
montanamallard
hunter

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:24 pm

Ya he has a job, its called being the biggest bad arse hunting **** you have ever seen. Not only will you be telling stories of his exploits to your children, they will be telling their children the stories as well. I am just glad he invites me along once in awhile.
Couple things you might not know about Paul
1. He always has a sleeping bag with him, its called his skin.
2. When he goes camping he doesn't prepare for the elements, the elements prepare for him.
3. I once watched Paul down by the river teaching some bears how to fish.
4. According to Paul he has not only met bigfoot, but bigfoot owes him eleven dollars.

Paul is a great guy.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:44 pm

:lol: Priceless!

I hear he just points at animals and says "bang" and they keel over on the spot.
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:44 pm

Fowler how long have you been waiting to use that one?
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby wickedmfer » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:56 pm

Move over Chuck...Phutch is in the house!
"X" <-------Best Dog...........EVER!
wickedmfer
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:54 pm

HAHA you guys are funny.

Which is worse, the fact that I get to hunt alot or that Ray has enough time to sit around and think up things like that.....
phutch30
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:57 pm

Ray, your a ra tard! but funny.

Guess I better not post a pic of a big ole alberta whity if I get one.

Is it wrong that when my wife asked when I was gunna be home I said "no idea, sometime next week"
or that she didnt seem to think it was a big deal?
phutch30
hunter

Postby Lawdog » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:34 am

Paul sees ducks a 1/4 mile away.

He reaches into his box of ammo and throws shells in the air.

The ducks put themselves in the game strap while he sips his coffee approvingly.
Rest in Peace, Ryder. Boy, you went before your time, in the start of your prime. You were loyal and are missed.

~ 4 March 2013.
Lawdog
State Moderator

Postby phutch30 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:09 pm

THE HELL WITH ALL OF YOU! Im taking my ball and going to Alberta.
phutch30
hunter

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:33 pm

Are you going to take any weapons or are you just going bare knuckle style? When you cross the border does the biggest whitey buck fall over dead from a heart attack and just wait for you to go pick it up?
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby rusty duck » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:04 pm

IF you want to know of the Greatest Montana Hunter named Paul...of ALL time...it is Paul Schafer! Google Paul & his exploits & your jaw will drop! i hunt with & just returned from an outing with a guy who was one of Paul's best pals...the many stories that remain unrecorded are mind boggling.....like the time he was hunting sheep in the Yukon & a 10cent Outfitter did not pack enough grub for their 3 person hunt & Paul was 'tiffed'...the outfitter told him of a cache he had 15 miles from where they were 'spiked-out'...Paul Schafer hiked 15 miles thru the 'bush' to find a bear-ransacked cache & NO food & hiked back the same day...NOT happy about the situation!...OR the time he tracked an injured antelope 42 miles before claiming it...OR the time he rushed for 258 yards in the 1968 Cat-Griz game on.....58...yes 58 carries with a broken collar bone! Paul Schafer was literally 'King of the Mopuntain'!
rusty duck
Newb

Postby Bulldog0156 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:57 pm

Nope I think you're wrong.
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby TopWop » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:07 pm

Now he's just a mild mannered band leader on Letterman
TopWop
hunter

Postby pmahler » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:26 am

Who the hell is this Paul Schafer character? Way to kill the thread doofus.

PS - he played for the Griz or the Cats so it doesn't count...not real football. Watch the big boys like the SEC, Big 10 or PAC 10
pmahler
hunter

Postby hntndux » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:26 am

Funny Stuff
hntndux
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:37 pm

PTROOFER FTFOWLER wrote:Or maybe hanging from a 400 foot cable attached to your nut sack glassing for elk in the wilderness area.
Dammit...I almost hit my computer keyboard spitting coffee after reading this. :lol3:
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:07 pm

About time someone changed the subject on you dorks! Thank you. HAHA
well gotta get back to arm wrestling polar bears....or canadian women, not sure quite yet which they are but they have alot of hair and they're really strong.
phutch30
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting