War Horse NWR

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

War Horse NWR

Postby GThomp » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:57 pm

Has anyone been out to these recently? How likely is it that i could run a boat in the southern most lake. We went and scouted it before the season, but i have never ran the boat in it. I know this borders on internet scouting, but its a long drive for me to make and come up with nothing.
GThomp
hunter

Re: War Horse NWR

Postby phutch30 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:56 pm

Huh? never heard of it. Where is it?
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Re: War Horse NWR

Postby GThomp » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:51 am

Its northwest of billings in the middle of gods forsaken nowhere (sorry if any of you are from around there, but it really is in the middle of no where). It is made up of 3 middle range size lakes, which are separated by around 10-20 miles each. The southern most lake is managed by the state, and the others are managed by the NWR system. All are able to be hunted, but only the southern two are accessible at all from what i saw. There were thousands of birds on the southern two a week before the season, and they are legal to be hunted. I have not been up there since though, and i know the middle lake would be about impossible to run a boat on. I am looking into the viability of running the boat on the state managed lake. If anyone wants to make a go of it with me, and have a little adventure i'd be down to meet up somewhere. No idea how it would turn out, but i love to hunt new places.
GThomp
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting