Clouds and no wind, But some of this......

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Clouds and no wind, But some of this......

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:30 pm

Had a goose hunt set up with a couple of buddies for this morning, late last night they both cancelled. Went out by myself and while I was bouncing along the acess road I realized that the farmer had just combined a standing corn field the day before :grooving: . Immedidate change of plans for locations. Set out 7 dozen full body goose deeks, figured I might get lucky and pull in a couple of ducks at first light so threw out the mojo with the plan of covering it up when the geese started working. As I was laying there waiting for legal time the air started filling up with ducks, more than I have seen all season in the air all at once. Legal time but too dark to tell drakes from hens so had to lay there with ducks landing all around me for a few minutes. Once it was light enough started taking one duck from each flock. Fifteen minutes later and I was done. Tucked back in the layout and watched the show.

Don't know how many of you have ever layed in a layout with several hundred ducks on the deck all around you, quacking in your ear and picking at your blind while more and more circled overhead, but if you have you know how sureal it is. Might have had a little help from the farmer, but I will take it. Decided to bail on the geese and get out of there before I ruined the field.

Tomorrow maybe I will throw out some duck decoys!

Not much feed here
Attachments
ducks 062.JPG
ducks 063.JPG
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Re: Clouds and no wind, But some of this......

Postby MTDUCKS » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:09 pm

That sounds unforgettable! Good job!
MTDUCKS
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:34 pm

You poor soul, you can only kill five over there! :hammer: :lol3:
wingnutty
hunter

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:59 pm

Five a day is espically painfull on days like today. Searched the sky for a long time for a bonus duck but nothing but mallards. Have to hunt every day just to try and keep up with the numbers that you pacific flyway boys put up in just a few days.
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:50 pm

Well I put up 0 today with a total of 0 shots fired, so ya got me! I think all the birds pushed out of our area, but I don't field hunt so maybe that's where it's at!
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby MThuntr » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:01 pm

I posted a big giant goose egg today also.
MThuntr
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:10 pm

I also posted a zero today. Lost a lot of birds, at least in the area I was hunting. Hunting with my folk's foster kid today and that makes things more difficult on tough days, but we both had fun. Tomorrow will be a different story though :lol3: :lol3:
wingnutty
hunter

Postby darcher » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:11 pm

I cancelled a trip with my son on Flathead Lake today. I have a feeling it would have been ok, but I am more cautious in my old age. Instead I drove up to Brown's Lake. I use to scull on it twenty years ago. Not much has changed, but all I saw were four golden eyes. The shoreline was icing up, the wind was bone chilling, and not a single duck on the water or in the sky. I guess it is time for me to explore the Flathead River and the Clark's Fork. It sure has been fun returning to old haunts. I have had three good shoots previous to today but no limits.
darcher
hunter

Postby MTDUCKS » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:49 pm

Helena has some good birds. Locals still seem to be hanging around and some new birds showed up mid morning. I'm excited to see what tomorrow brings...
MTDUCKS
hunter

Postby K-Town » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:05 pm

Gee, hunting corn must be rough!!lol Had a good hunt on the river friday 15 mallards, 4 widgeon, and 2 redheads and 3 honks....this morning the birds seem to have disappeared. I dont know if the full moon had something to do with it or what, but duck numbers took a dive, but we managed another good shoot. Paciently awaiting for northerns...

ImageImage
K-Town
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:34 pm

Sleet is good too. Scratched 13 today. My young partner couldn't quite finish his limit and had some gun jamming issues. I blew a poor gwt to bits and when the dog made the retrieve, my wad was impaled inside him :fingerhead: .

Good hunt and great memories.
wingnutty
hunter

Postby jberg440 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:28 am

We did well this weekend as well a few short of a 4 man limit, plus 4 geese. The group only ended up with 6 mallards and only one drake was a double curl the other where pretty immature. Alot of divers which are always a fun sporty shoot! Atleast now i know where all the mallards went!
The man banging on the door kept yelling "Alcohol, Tobbaco, and Firearms!" I just assumed it was more supplies.
jberg440
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:58 pm

There are so many ducks and geese still u;p here by edmonton alberta its unreal.the locals say there all gone but im seeing a couple thousand ducks andgeese a day. Seeing 3-5 140-150 deer a day. almost shot a mid 160 or better this morning but it was too fast.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby jberg440 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:34 am

phutch30 wrote:There are so many ducks and geese still u;p here by edmonton alberta its unreal.the locals say there all gone but im seeing a couple thousand ducks andgeese a day. Seeing 3-5 140-150 deer a day. almost shot a mid 160 or better this morning but it was too fast.

That is some promising info!!! Good luck on your hunt Phutch!
The man banging on the door kept yelling "Alcohol, Tobbaco, and Firearms!" I just assumed it was more supplies.
jberg440
hunter

Postby feetdown25 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:20 pm

phutch30 wrote:There are so many ducks and geese still u;p here by edmonton alberta its unreal.the locals say there all gone but im seeing a couple thousand ducks andgeese a day. Seeing 3-5 140-150 deer a day. almost shot a mid 160 or better this morning but it was too fast.

Thats awesome. Iv'e been monitoring the forecast for alberta lately...should be freezin up soon :beer:

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/fin ... 00.1.71123
feetdown25
hunter

Postby ZB1 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:03 pm

Sun and Wind, Clouds and no wind.............feelin like a great year regardless of weather.
just need to get away from work more often!

Nice post.
ZB1
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:13 am

I can assure you Alberta is frozen now. It was below zero the last 4 days I was there. edmonton was -22 when I drove through on Sun morn
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting