Burrr! Dang near got froze up today!

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Burrr! Dang near got froze up today!

Postby jberg440 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:03 pm

Probably gonna be the last morning I hunt anything but moving water, it was icey going out, coming in was 10x worse :fingerhead: . Still ended up killin' em though. Better get my waders fixed so I can become a river rat.
The man banging on the door kept yelling "Alcohol, Tobbaco, and Firearms!" I just assumed it was more supplies.
jberg440
hunter

Re: Burrr! Dang near got froze up today!

Postby MTJoe » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:42 pm

Yeah, I am in the hunt for my first set of waders. Any suggestions?
MTJoe
hunter

Postby MThuntr » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:04 pm

Depending on your size, I've had great luck with Cabela's Big Man chest waders. They have kept me warm in sub zero temps and they're pretty tough.
MThuntr
hunter

Postby TopWop » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:35 pm

Myself, I wouldn't skimp on waders for this time of year. I have in the past, and there
is nothing worse than being wet and miserable this time of year. Especially if you are
hunting with other people, you don't want to be "that Guy". I have a pair of 3mm
Cabelas I wear in the early season. They are very plain and wish they had D rings
and more pockets. I want to get a pair of breathable for early season next year.

For the Winter months I have 2 pair of Cabelas Super Mag with the 1600 g thinsulate
boots. 1) it better be effin' cold 2) you don't want to walk far in these babies, they
weigh a ton. 3) they will keep you warm and dry in coldest of weather.

I'm not a Cabelas salesman, just happens they have some good stuff. Here are a few
tips. Look for reinforced waders (knees,crotch,seat) 5mm are heavy but they are warm.
Read the reviews!!!!! With all the info on the Net, should be no reason for being
uninformed. OH! D- rings and pockets. The more the better for me. The more
crap I can clip to or hide in my waders the better. They now make waders in Tall
and Stout, so people shouldn't look like my Uncle stuffed in skinny guy waders.
It doesn't look comfortable at all.

PS. I have NO idea what you'll have to get for those thin skinned Wiemies.
Maybe a neoprene snowmobile suit.
TopWop
hunter

Postby MTJoe » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:16 pm

Well thanks for the help on waders, and have used neoprene vest for the dogs in the past. But even around freezing they dont mind the water as they are so used to being in the fields, and if they find any water there they jump right in! I am pretty careful to limit exposure times and stuff as prevention. But keeping my dogs out of water is like asking the wind not to blow here in montana!
MTJoe
hunter

Postby lundin-loading » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:55 pm

i wear bone dry's, by Redhead, theyre 3.5mm neoprene with 600grm thinsulate boots, when shes real cold ill wear sweats underneath, a good set of wool socks and toe warmers, i love em, and wouldnt get anything heavier, ive been in some REAL cold stuff in em, and ill never go above 600grms, i do to much walking, packin deeks, fetchin birds, id die if i wore anything heavier! i also hunt in them early season in 65+ degrees, just wear my skivvies underneath then,
lundin-loading
hunter

Postby wickedmfer » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:21 pm

Well I'm a Drake waterfowl field expert so it's late season Drake Eqwader waders for me. They are super warm with a bunch of built in features that make life a lot easier when it's super cold out. Check them out online and let me know if your interested in a pair.
"X" <-------Best Dog...........EVER!
wickedmfer
hunter

Postby mt2pipe » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:55 am

Gotta chime in with TopWop. Cabelas SuperMag 1600g are the cat's *ss. Yeah, they're heavy but you'll come home from -20 toasty warm.
Little story: I went out a few years back on a -20 day with the old waders that apparently had a hole in the foot. Long story short the foot went numb. When we got back to the truck I tried to take the waders off but the water had frozen my sock to the boot. With a numb foot I thought the foot was frozen to the boot. Bad things were going thru my mind as we pulled and pulled.
mt2pipe
hunter

Postby MTDUCKS » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:46 pm

I have a set of Winchester 3.5mm 400g thinsulate boot waders and I love them. My biggest problem is i'm 5' 11" and about 155lbs so I can't ever find a wader that it doesn't feel like I am swimming in. I wear a size 11 shoe but with waders I go with a boot size 9 and still have plenty of room for socks and toe warmers.

I have to second the toe warmers. They are TOTALLY worth the price to keep warm in the blind/water.
MTDUCKS
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting