Mighty MO

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Mighty MO

Postby Bulldog0156 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:33 pm

Guys just wondering if there are spots to hunt the Missouri downstream from Helena (but before Great Falls) where you don't need a boat. I've never really fished up that way so I don't know what the river is like. A simple yes or no will do, I'd rather not have exact spots posted on the internet for all to see.
Bulldog0156
hunter

Re: Mighty MO

Postby lundin-loading » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:52 pm

Yes...dog is necessary though.
lundin-loading
hunter

Postby mojocoot » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:13 pm

Lots of spots. Drive from Holter dam to the end of the canyon on the frontage road and you'll find at least a few good spots. Careful with your dog and yourself on that stretch....the are places where the water can be quicker than you'd expect.
mojocoot
hunter

Postby Duplex lover » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:43 pm

Bulldog0156 wrote:Guys just wondering if there are spots to hunt the Missouri downstream from Helena (but before Great Falls) where you don't need a boat. I've never really fished up that way so I don't know what the river is like. A simple yes or no will do, I'd rather not have exact spots posted on the internet for all to see.

Most all of it is privet land and permission is needed even on the islands...
Down stream fro GF is Much better and some public lands , great spots to set a bunch of honker decoys . What you really need is a Jet boat . :wink:
The last best place.
Duplex lover
hunter

Postby mojocoot » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:58 am

"Most all of it is privet land and permission is needed even on the islands..."

You sure on this? There is only one or two islands on that stretch that I know are private, and dozens that I know are not. Nice thing about the Mo is that you can easily stay below high water marks if you just want to shoot some ducks over the river. But without a boat you're out of luck for reaching most of the islands anyway.
mojocoot
hunter

Postby Duplex lover » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:10 pm

I think I saw in the regulations that the Islands are considered the landowners. I would check at the FWP or maybe county officeses to make sure. The ones near Great falls fall under the "Parks department" and you have to get there permission to hunt on them. :eek:
The last best place.
Duplex lover
hunter

Postby mojocoot » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:17 pm

well I haven't hunted those, but I have hunted many of the islands in the canyon from Holter to Pelican. I hunted below the high water mark anyway, but it's good to know that some of those are private. Never had any landowners come out and complain so I assume we haven't made anyone too mad.
mojocoot
hunter

Postby Duplex lover » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:36 pm

Probable no problem shooting shotguns... :grooving:
Don't know. Good luck , Still think you'll need a jet boat, in the water no one can say any thing. :thumbsup:
Where you at Helena ish ?
Ever hunt'm below Belt creek ? It doesn't freeze down there till Feb.
The last best place.
Duplex lover
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:32 pm

I figured a jet boat was key. I don't have a dog either, so I need spots that are really wade-able :sad:
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby MTDUCKS » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:03 pm

Bulldog (or anyone in the Helena area for that matter)-

I may be going out this weekend at some point. I have a boat (not a duck boat, just use it to get to areas then hide it) and I'm always up for a partner to hunt with. I'm in Helena also.

Send me a text or call 515-782-9967
MTDUCKS
hunter

Postby lundin-loading » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:28 pm

mtducks, you hunt during the week at all?
lundin-loading
hunter

Postby MTDUCKS » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:12 pm

I have Monday off work, just depends how frustrated I get elk hunting this weekend. I'd like to hit the Missouri Monday or Thanksgiving.
MTDUCKS
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:03 am

Ducks, I'd be up for a thanksgiving morning shoot. I was planning on going out then anyways. Otherwise I will probably be trying to fill tags this week.
Bulldog0156
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting