Weather....Finally!

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Weather....Finally!

Postby MontanaMatt » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:40 pm

Finally some real duck hunting weather. Hopefully my honey hole isn't frozen over yet. Even if it is, the slew of new ducks in the valley are sure to at least swing by for a look. And maybe if it isn't to thick, I can open a hole to draw them in. Gonna be out there either way. But not tomorrow. A little work in the morning, and then watching the Cats bitch slap the griz. I love hunting with my "the Cats killed the griz" smile on my face. 41 - 17 Cats. Go Cats!
MontanaMatt
hunter

Re: Weather....Finally!

Postby MTJoe » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:40 pm

I am thinking of going out as well. Any wood ducks over there? Have pals in Bozeman, have thought of heading your way for sure!
MTJoe
hunter

Postby GThomp » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:12 pm

Theres not a whole lot in the Bozeman area right now.
GThomp
hunter

Postby MontanaMatt » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:53 pm

I've been here for 18 years now, and have seen exactly 1 wood duck. Not even close to hunting season. But I sure would love to smack one.
MontanaMatt
hunter

Postby MTJoe » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:58 pm

one in 18, boy, wife might be waiting for a bit till I get one to mount then lol
MTJoe
hunter

Postby lundin-loading » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:11 am

My buddy shot a hen woodie this year in Helena, pretty neat, never seen one besides it.
lundin-loading
hunter

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:31 pm

Never even seen one before this year, Had about a hundred working some corn earlier this year, hunted them three nights in a row and shot eight drakes and a hen.
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby MontanaMatt » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:40 pm

My prediction sure sucked today. The Cats got skinned alive by the griz. 1st time since Ash arrived that a Bobcat team got beat in every phase of the game. Just handled. Including the dude in the khaki pants himself. Really disappointing. Let me have it griz fans. I deserve it.
MontanaMatt
hunter

Postby TopWop » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:11 am

I really don't care that much, as I prefer Division I football. I do hope for a good game though.
That was a train wreck! The Cat's best team in years and they got beat like a rented Mule, AT HOME!
Did that guy in the Khaki pants make it? He looked dead. He didn't even move his feet while on the
deck.

Don't worry Cat fans, they could meet again in the playoffs. Question, are the Cat's going to be
wearing skirts next game? ;)
TopWop
hunter

Postby MontanaMatt » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:32 pm

The dude that got crushed on the sideline was a griz bus driver. He was knocked out briefly, but was up and walking around after the game. He sure looked dead to me though. Not even a twitch for the longest time. Maybe he should learn to pay attention to the game. He had plenty of time to get out of the way, but apparently he was day dreaming. I am glad he's ok though. That looked really bad for a bit.
MontanaMatt
hunter

Postby MontanaMatt » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:44 pm

That should have been a much better hunt. Covered up in ducks at daylight, but it was 300 goldeneyes, and 4 mallards. Never seen that many goldeneyes in that spot. Maybe a few dozen at the most, but they were thick today. My buddy scraped a hen mallard out of the sky, but I would have taken his hat off if I had taken a shot. We had just set dekes, and hadn't even sat down when they came in hard and fast. We were still talking about our placement in the weeds, standing right next to each other. Our usual hole was frozen over, so we had to move downstream maybe a hundred yards to find open water. Great looking set, but with only 4 mallards in the sky, it was destined to be a slow morning. Lots of geese moving off the river at about 9:30 or so, but nothing close enough to boom at. Oh well. Nearly 2 months left to make it happen. And we will.
-3 when we got out of the truck, but no wind to speak of. About 25 or so when we finally bailed. Not near as cold as expected.
MontanaMatt
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting