How many up north?

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

How many up north?

Postby K-Town » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:24 am

How many birds do you guys think are still holding up in southern Alberta? I know it got super cold up there when we had our cold snap, now its pretty balmy like down here.
Luckily five of us got into them good on our last "cold" day before it began to warm up
Hunted the same spot 4 days later and it felt like opening day, sunny and no wind, birds were really spooky
Decided to go after some ganders and it was over in less than an hour

I'm having my best duck season I've ever had to date. I don't really care about the number of birds killed, but rather the good lasting memories had with friends and family chasing greenheads, but I do know that Federal Ammunition appreciates my business :yes: :yes: Our local mallard hatch this year was off the charts, seem's like every time we go out this year, limits of fat greenies are just about guaranteed! I hope you guys are doing good as well!!
K-Town
hunter

Re: How many up north?

Postby phutch30 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:27 am

When I came through from 60miles NW of Edmonton all the way to Dillon 780 miles straight south last week. Almost all the water was froze. I saw good goose numbers but almost nothing for ducks until Great Falls. I would say the majority of ducks are in MT and a good percentage of the geese are down also.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby montana quackhead » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:13 am

I'm on the Nodak/Saskatchewan border right now and I can tell you that I haven't seen a duck in the two weeks I've been here. The fields have been devoid of snow until a couple of days ago, but most of that has blown to Minot by now. Of course, I go to one of the best areas in the country to hunt ducks...in late November.
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter

Postby hatchiecoon » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:44 pm

If you could set your clocks Quackhead, you wouldnta missed 'em;<)
Anyone who thinks shooting a duck on the water is unsportsmanlike, has never tried.
hatchiecoon
hunter

Postby montana quackhead » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:41 pm

This is true Hatchiecoon!! :yes:
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting