Ironic Story About the Metcalf

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Ironic Story About the Metcalf

Postby Troutslayer » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:17 am

http://missoulian.com/lifestyles/recrea ... 002e0.html

Funny that the refuge manager has to worry about voice controlling his unleashed dog while the rest of us have to keep our dogs leashed at all times or face a huge fine.
Troutslayer
hunter

Re: Ironic Story About the Metcalf

Postby TopWop » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:07 pm

Has the leash Law always been in effect there? When I lived in Missoula and hunted there
I never had Bella on a leash. Cal, the fish and game guy who policed that place at the time
never said a word and he was a stickler for the rules. He knew me pretty well and still
on occasion counted my shells and checked my birds. That was between 8 to 12 yrs ago.
TopWop
hunter

Postby 2point » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:47 pm

I read that article and thought the exact same thing. I haven't hunted there for a while, was about 10 years. My last time I was there walking out and was the last one out. My arms were full decoys bags, gun, etc. my old black lab Mandy was walking by my side like she always did. I threw my stuff in the truck and some special agent started drilling me ( it wasn't Rick Branzell or Cal Henry I worked on the refuge every summer throughout university, and knew those guys.) This guy was just a prick, I finally said f%&k it then write me up, but this brow beating I am not taking any more. My dog wasn't chasing deer or pheasants just walking by my side so if I broke a law write me a f&%king ticket and lets get this over. He said it was a warning so I just jumped in my truck and drove off while he was still talking, and never went back. Bob Twist was the manager there in the 70s early 80s and he knew how to run a refuge, he is really missed. I saw him not too long ago he looked great maybe he could go down there and give these guys a lesson.
2point
hunter

Postby TopWop » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:23 pm

I was coming out of blind #3 one day (the handicapped one) ..... Insert Jokes here__________________
Anyway some new kid, I think he was taking over for Cal, an out of stater. Anyway, he asked me
if I knew anything about the dead deer in the parking lot. I told him I thought it had been hit by a vehicle
and had been there a while. I deduced this by the way the legs were busted up and twisted. It had been
warm and the deer was bloated. So this noob decides CSI it with his pig sticker. Before I could say STOP
he pokes it in the belly. The stench was unbelievable. Mr Feathers & Guts starts to gag and threw up a little.
I walked back to my Jeep laughing.
TopWop
hunter

Postby montana quackhead » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:05 am

I hate that place. The only thing it's good for...is getting ticketed. :sad:
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting