Game warden hits deer

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Game warden hits deer

Postby montana quackhead » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:19 am

Check out this link. Most of us would have gotten a ticket...but not this warden. He only gets a warning. Is there something wrong with our system or what?? :help: :help: Oh..and he's the FWP chair. Says "he didn't know it was illegal" and he's responsible for setting the rules. I wish I could tell that to the game warden when trying to explain something I didn't know was "illegal". :fingerhead: Glad he totaled his subaru.

www.nbcmontana.com/news/29897696/detail.html
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter

Re: Game warden hits deer

Postby lundin-loading » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:43 am

Wow...
lundin-loading
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:58 pm

I wondered how long it would be before that story made it on here :lol3:
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby MontanaWild » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:04 pm

Ya that's bullshit
MontanaWild
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:31 pm

I guess I don't really care all that much. I think a lot of people wouldn't know it was illegal.

Remember, the commissioners are volunteers (meaning the don't work for FWP or get paid, other than their travel expenses to meetings, ect). This isn't an FWP employee trying to cover anything up. He apparently didn't know what he did was illegal and frankly, I don't think it's a big deal, at least he was trying to use the animal instead of letting it rot on the side of the road. Now, if he was road hunting with his vehicle then different story, but obviously, this was an accident.

I think a warning and game confiscation was in order and agree with the outcome.
wingnutty
hunter

Postby wickedmfer » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:54 pm

I think if your willing to hunt with your car as the weapon, then you definitely deserve to keep your kill. And I thought getting it processed was spendy.
"X" <-------Best Dog...........EVER!
wickedmfer
hunter

Postby montana quackhead » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:43 am

Wingnutty...I hear where your coming from. But if you set the rules and it's your job, volunteer/paid (as a commissioner or employee (game warden)), then you ought to know the damn rules!!!! :mad: And if you don't know if it's right or wrong, you should call your buddies (in his case, other game commissioners/wardens) or you should have never accepted that position. If I don't think it's safe to cut a scary, burnt, cat-faced, widow-maker ridden snag, I walk away. I know my job. If you are elected/hired for a position, then you damn well better know the subjects/issues you were hired for...plain and simple. He should have known...OR INQUIRED about taking the deer. I'm glad he was trying to do the right thing, but you and I, both know that one of us would have gotten ticketed if we pulled into some game check with this scenario. These guys are not above the law and this case exemplifies how backwards our "system" is!! I would not have made this mistake though...because I know the rules. And if I didn't or there was some confusion, the first person I would have contacted would have probably been Hutch! :lol3:

Way to stick up for the guys who are gonna bust you because you keep one buckshot in your bag...just in case.
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:00 pm

yeah, but I'm not so sure a normal joe would be ticket every time on a situation like this either.

It isn't like he was trying to hide anything, it appears to me like genuine ignorance. I can forgive and forget and I don't think this is as big of a deal as some would make it out to be. But that's just my opinion.
wingnutty
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:18 pm

wickedmfer wrote:I think if your willing to hunt with your car as the weapon, then you definitely deserve to keep your kill. And I thought getting it processed was spendy.

You know that if it were legal there would be guys out there with home made steel bumpers driving around all night. I always thought you could make a call and request permission to put your tag on the animal, and that they usually granted that to you.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:10 pm

I always thought you could make a call and request permission to put your tag on the animal, and that they usually granted that to you.

I thought the same thing and I am pretty sure that it's happened in the past.
wingnutty
hunter

Postby MTJoe » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:51 pm

In KS the cops had salvage tags, and a list of people to call if the person involved in the accident didnt want it. I gave out a lot of them. I was surprised they dont do that here in MT as well, but like a previous poster stated, somebody would be driving around with a custom steel bumper!
MTJoe
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting