Fun! Fun!

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Fun! Fun!

Postby phutch30 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:21 am

I said i wasnt going to post this, but since its not my spot I dont care. LOL Thanks to Pete+ and montanamallard for dragging me outa my comfort zone. I hate to have to travel longer to get to a spot than it takes for everyone to limit on ducks. Also thanks again Jason for ruining the pic with a last min brown duck . I guess you got desperate and didnt have any other choices. Also to Pete+ for shooting my banded duck. First one Ive ever heard of coming from the NW territories! Thats sweet man!

....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Re: Fun! Fun!

Postby vandeman17 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:30 pm

Now that looks like a great shoot! Just hide the Susie in the pile and hope nobody notices... :yes:
"Coming right at us! A pair of singles!"
vandeman17
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:52 pm

Just hide the Susie in the pile and hope nobody notices

oops! did i not do that? sorry jason :hammer:
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:40 pm

Nice shoot! Those are some good looking dogs. Are you seeing lots of green right now Hutch? I haven't seen much other than goldeneyes recently...
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:24 pm

We saw a couple ducks on sun. But we had to travel a good ways north....at least i did. Its a little slow around dillon, unless you can get access to river bottom estates with warm springs. Which is a tad difficult. Clark Canyon is 100% frozen and with the entire beaverhead river open and almost no snow the ducks have a lot of options on where they roost and feed.

The farm pond I hunted on Fri is now frozen over completly. I hate to do it but Im gunna have to go knock on some doors.
phutch30
hunter

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:16 pm

Dont be afraid to knock on doors Paul. Last week my normal spot was shut down because the other guy who hunts it had some friends in town and was supposed to hunt all week(hunted one day). I resorted to knocking on doors, five out of six said go ahead whenever I wanted. I now have a area approximatly four miles long, and six miles wide, all agriculture, that I pretty much have cart blanche on. Little scouting and wherever the ducks are hitting, I know I can go. Of coures keeping seven ranchers supplied with whiskey gets a little expensive. Always carry a few bottles of Crown in the back seat :yes:
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby montana quackhead » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:51 am

Nice shoot! I woke up this afternoon to a picture of a banded Susie that Pete sent me via pix msg. I thought that was a $ band??? Or was that a different shoot? :huh: I'm covered up in ducks over here in frozen Nodak/Saskatchewan. :biggrin:
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter

Postby hntndux » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:00 am

How does that work with three dogs in the field? Do they all get along and respect each others retrieves? etc. I caould that being a real hassle.. just wondering
hntndux
hunter

Postby montanamallard » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:56 am

My dog just watched Moose and Walker run after the ducks, she gets to pick one out of ten up.,..lol. I guess its good "denial" training! Great hunt with great friends, one new buddy Paul and one old buddy named Peter+. Can't wait to get out there again, however I am bringing two shock collars and some anchor chain :). The dogs get along grand. I killed the hen, guilty as charged. I always get harassed for being the one to ruin the picture, and I often do...but this day I said I will not shoot a hen, I will show those guys, last shot at a drake the hen swooped in and presto....instant cannon fodder for the boys. Dammit.
montanamallard
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:47 am

My dog only left my blind if I shot. There is a little confusion when every one pops up to shoot a bird and only 1 or two fall. Moose wont retrieve hens so Jasons dog had that one all to herself. We USUALLY only shoot 1 or maybe 2 birds per flock so who ever shoots his dog goes and gets it. All three of our dogs are a little spoiled when it comes to getting birds. I know mine thinks there all his.
phutch30
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:42 pm

Love it :thumbsup:
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby OGblackcloud » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:43 pm

You guys have it good :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby ZB1 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:26 pm

nice pile boyz....
good lookin hounds, grinning ear to ear.
ZB1
hunter

Postby montanamallard » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:44 pm

We might have been grinning a bit too.
montanamallard
hunter

Postby Wild Bob » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:53 pm

Nice! Glad to see you are out and about after all those misadventures!!! :sad:
Wild Bob
hunter

Location: Some where east of the continental divide but west of Roughrider Country

Postby hntndux » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:34 pm

I like how the one GH in the pic looks like he has a stiffy
hntndux
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:12 am

Dont know about the duck but Pete sure did......as much as he brags about it I think he still does.
phutch30
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:17 pm

:lol:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting