Season so far????

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Season so far????

Postby phutch30 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:09 pm

Hows everyones season going so far?

So far i am sitting at around 50% less birds than what I normally get. To be fair Ive been out duckhunting about 50% less this year too.

You guys up north need to shoo a few down this way. We're lacking
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Re: Season so far????

Postby rew » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:19 pm

im in the same boat as you. hunted waterfowl about 1/2 as much this year and shot at least half as much. you think we have got most all the birds we are going to see this year, or you think there are still more to come. latelly all i have been seeing are goldeneys and few geese.
rew
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:29 pm

I hope some of the ones up around GF and Helena move down here. Gunna be kinda slim pickins otherwise.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:46 pm

I'm at double what I shot for the whole season last year and have hunted half as hard, but honestly I had a killer spot early on until it got cold plus I didn't shoot many last year. Right now it's a little slow, haven't seen too much green and I don't have anything for the geese. I really hope there are lots of mallards still north of here cuz if not, it's gonna be a rough end to the season!
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby MThuntr » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:53 pm

Right now, I'm sitting well below 1/2 and as such I've hunted 1/2 as much. Skipped a hunt this afternoon because reports from the landowner were very bleak.
MThuntr
hunter

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:21 pm

The season started? Damn it somebody needs to let me know this stuff.
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby K-Town » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:58 pm

Killed more ducks from openeing to thanksgiving then I did all of last year combined....now its pretty frickin quiet :help: Really havent seen the "chucklheads" yet.
K-Town
hunter

Postby Deer Lodge Josh » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:20 am

Season started slow for me then a couple good weekends later in Oct. Been traveling too much for work. Last couple weekends were good in the dillon area as a friend is lucky with access along the river. Limits of mallards and last weekend geese were around and flying low. Duck numbers dropped drmatically last weekend. Even had to walk some sloughs as the birds were not flying or working at all. Thankfully the geese appeared new and were stupid flying right at you after hitting the call. Even with the storms in november the upper clark fork was slow. Odd to be in a blizzard and few birds flying. Week of thanksgivinig had birds all over the place but random flight patterns. flights of ducks and geese all over but flying high and in every direction. Odd birds were teal even around thanksgiving. Odd to have teal splash into the dekes late november. Thankfully they were something to shoot at. I am on the road till xmas so look forward to late season fat northern birds. Saw some black ducks yesterday in FL. Will be traveling from FL to MO over the next week so will see plenty of birds. Too bad I will be working and not able to get a flooded timber hunt in while drivinig through AR.

Good luck back in MT. THis time of year is usually one weekend few birds the next huge flights and the next fewer again. That week when they are around it is easy limits of green with bigh flights of new birds that come right in.
Deer Lodge Josh
hunter

Postby montanamallard » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:43 pm

Has been an amazing year for me. Never have seen anything like it. Started in Alberta...so many birds everywhere. There were literally birds walking off(out of the way of the truck) the county roads, into the ditches. Water everywhere. My friend up there says SO MANY mallards are still there. Once our season started in MT we had a pea field early that we took limits 8 times in 14 days or something like that, moved to barley and some corn. Was like crack to those birds (Peas). Haven't hunted much water and have been very lucky with getting permission as it is hard in the Bitterroot and surrounding areas. Have had some great hunts with pmahler and phutch. More to come.
montanamallard
hunter

Postby GThomp » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:35 pm

We have also seen about half the birds compared to last year. Also the number of hunters around bozeman seems to have doubled. Its been a bad hunting year...
GThomp
hunter

Postby hntndux » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:39 pm

Ill tell you this, in Cali everything seems to be about a month behind. Had alot of late rice. so alot of it being flooded late. Still alot of birds in Klamath? and Wash. We have a new spot this year an old friend handed down to us, that has been lights out for the last 8 years. we are patiently waiting for things to light up... have had one Epic hunt, last Wed. a little fog early then it cleared 21 ducks by 8:30. Need a few more of those...
hntndux
hunter

Postby montana quackhead » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:10 pm

I shot a limit on the opener. That's the last time I went. :no: Sad, but true. I use to be a quack fanatic...now I'm just lame. :help:
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter

Postby olivebugger » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:46 pm

This season has been poor, so far. All this talk about record ducks is just propaganda. Lots of geese though. That being said, I will try my luck again tommorrow morning. :grooving:
olivebugger
hunter

Postby feetdown25 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:39 pm

First season here in montana, compared to minnesota it's been great. Contrary to what I had read/heard about before getting out here, the early season was the best hunting so far for me. Shot a limit or close to almost every time I went in the first couple weeks of october. Slowed down later in oct, but then a decent migration provided a short window of good hunting. Ever since it got cold been hunting the rivers and shootin some nice greenies, but no crazy late season hunts yet. By the sounds of what late season is usually like I would agree it's not as good as usual right now. Hunted all public land so far.
feetdown25
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting