Good dog food?

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Good dog food?

Postby MTDUCKS » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:25 am

I recently got a hunting partner, thanks to someone on this site. I've been feeding him Pedigree but the vet said she isn't a fan of Pedigree and recommended Science Diet, which she conveniently had a free sample on hand... I asked her why she likes Science Diet and she didn't really have a specific answer, just "Because it's good."

I don't doubt that it may be good, but I'm just betting they have a deal/contract/ect with Science Diet for their clinic. Can anyone give me any tips on food for a growing puppy? He's about 13 weeks old. If really good food will help him grow well, I'm more than willing to shell out some extra money for good food, but he's a terd machine right now and I don't want to throw away money unnecessarily if I can help it.
MTDUCKS
hunter

Re: Good dog food?

Postby Saltwater_Assassin » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:25 pm

:bow: Purina Pro Plan
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible"
- George Washington
Saltwater_Assassin
hunter

Postby TopWop » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:16 pm

For an awesome food that won't break the bank I suggest Diamond brand.
I get it at Murdochs (Big R ). If you look on the list of ingredients
Chicken,beef, or lamb meal should be the first ingredient. Unless it
actually says meal then you may not be getting what you think. I'm
not going to get into the rest of it but that's the most important part.

30 bucks for a 40 lb bag of beef meal and rice formula. They make one
for sporting dogs that's 30 bucks for 50 lbs. My oldest dog didn't like it
or I'd be using that. Anyway, I struggled a bunch when Rocki was a Puppy.
She kept eating her poop. Some say it's because the cheaper food doesn't
break down completely (because of all the corn filler) and the dog thinks
it's more food. I think it's because my dog is retarded. Anyway things got a
lot better when I switched to Diamond products.
TopWop
hunter

Postby Will_Hunt_4_Food » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:27 pm

+1 oh...and they really like deer meat too!!!!
God...Family...the outdoors...the rest is just details.
Will_Hunt_4_Food
hunter

Good dog food?

Postby Bgold » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:52 pm

All vets carry and endorse science diet. I think they get a kick back. Any ways. I feed orijen.
Foamy Log Blind@ ProStaff
"Why sport an Oak when you can float a Log"

Retrieves by Gunner: 23
Bgold
hunter

Postby shawdawg02 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:14 pm

Not a fan of the science diet either. I feed the costco chicken and rice food. Dogs love it and its within my budget. I found a pretty helpful site that rates all the different food. It is http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/. This site rates them from 1-6 stars. The science diet got a 1. Do some research and find the best you can afford.
shawdawg02
hunter

Postby MTJoe » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:41 pm

I am feeding Tuffy's, and my dogs love it. I get it from the local elevater. Until I found it, I was feeding the best I could find. Here is a link to the site, http://www.tuffyspetfoods.com/

I would like to here others opinions on it, good or bad.
MTJoe
hunter

Postby Bgold » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:00 pm

I’ve never heard of tuffys. I can’t say enough good things about orijen though. It’s a more natural balance of nutrients for canines. It is rather expensive however...

Bgold
hunter

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:22 pm

Duck breasts
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby jhanson1114 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:34 pm

I feed Nutro Max. Good food, the dog's coats look great and they have plenty of energy! I go with chicken and rice because it is the highest in protein. Really just look at ingredients on food for the ingredients, chicken meal, beef, ect. should be the first ingredient and corn, wheat, and soy should not be close to the top. This discussion could go on forever with opinions but in reality there are many great foods(and many horrible ones also).
jhanson1114
hunter

Postby Bgold » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:41 pm

jhanson1114 wrote:I feed Nutro Max. Good food, the dog's coats look great and they have plenty of energy! I go with chicken and rice because it is the highest in protein. Really just look at ingredients on food for the ingredients, chicken meal, beef, ect. should be the first ingredient and corn, wheat, and soy should not even be on the list. This discussion could go on forever with opinions but in reality there are many great foods(and many horrible ones also).

FIFY

Bgold
hunter

Postby MTDUCKS » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:50 pm

Justin, I'll be sure to feed Lincoln as much food as I can before we leave for Great Falls so Lincoln can leave you some Lincoln Logs while we are out hunting :yes:
MTDUCKS
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:43 pm

Science Diet sucks, lots of filler, feed it and clean up 2x more crap in the yard.

I currently feed costco lamb and rice, dog likes it, no issues.
In the past I've fed:

Eukenuba (spelling?)- great food, but pricey
Black Gold - another great food for a reasonable price, it is kinda hard to find, but if you google it you can go to their web site and search dealers, Mountain View Co-op in Great Falls carries it, that is where I got it when I lived on the East Side.
Alpha (I think) Sporting dog blend - got it at Big R in Havre, seemed to be good
Science Diet - worst of any food I've fed by far

Never fed Diamond, but always heard good things...other than the one 'incident' several years back.
wingnutty
hunter

Postby montana bound » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:58 am

Im feeding Tuffys Gold too.
I used to feed Diamond but you cant find it up here . Tuffys is the best food Ive found up here in the NE.
Was feeding Alpo & Pedigree(The best foods to be found before I found Tuffys) I had to supliment the labs with cooked beef fat to keep any weight on them before I started useing Tuffys.
You get out of a dog , what you put into a dog!
montana bound
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:53 am

I feed nutro pro. You should be feeding him puppy chow for the first year. Thats what I fed moose for the first year and he sure didnt suffer...in hindsight I should have fed him sawdust then he wouldnt have grown into a 100lb lap dog.

Most puppy chow provides more than enough protien etc for puppies. Nutro pro is a good feed tht wont break the bank.

Look at the ingredient list and make sure that fillers arnt in the first 3 ingredients and that the protien content is way up there (puppy chow). They eat alot and theres no getting around the end result. Lucas is really glad he doesnt have to clean that up anymore. :yes:
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby Fespy » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:34 am

Check out: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews

Most of the brands people think are good dog foods are actually pretty poor. Raw meat content should be placed way down the list due to how the % are calculated. Rice and Corn are worthless and should not be included at all.

You don't have to choose the highest priced or highest rated food but you should at least know the truth about what you feed you best friend so you can make a fully educated decision.
Fespy
hunter

Postby goosenoose » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:04 pm

I feed diamond naturals. It is easily available, good rating and fair priced. Most brand name dog foods are crap. I used dog food adviser to learn how to recognize poor feed from quality. It seems to be a non biased site. Good luck.
Goose hunters shoot bigger loads.
goosenoose
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:47 pm

Blue Buffalo is about the best we can afford and the results have been good. I used dog food advisor to come to that conclusion.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby pmahler » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:12 pm

I feed em Taste of the Wild, pups love it, was a easy transition & they're happy
pmahler
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:50 pm

My kids also feed Petes dog "walker" all the cheeto's he can eat......I'd have to say the results were mixed at best :yes:

My dog much prefers to eat anything that falls on the floor or is left on the kids plate. In fact we use him as the prewash for the dishwasher. As such Im sure he gets enough crap to keep him going.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby wickedmfer » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:01 pm

I've been using the eagle pack holistic. I alternate every month between the fish and the duck. She really likes it and her coat is amazing on the stuff. Doesn't shed and her energy and weight are great.
"X" <-------Best Dog...........EVER!
wickedmfer
hunter

Postby The Shovla » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:09 pm

As someone who worked in the pet food industry for a number of years, many of these suggestions make me laugh and then cringe. As stated above, many people feel they are feeding a good food, and really aren't. I don't want to call anyone out on here that posted above. That's not my style to slam on people. But some stated above are good...Eagle Pack, Blue Buffalo, and Natural Diamond and taste of the wild. Some others are: Solid Gold, Nutro Natural Choice, Royal Canine, Wellness, NurtiSource. Just a few to try. Try to stay away from Corn, Soy, and Bi Products. These are FILLERS, and have no nutritional value. Good luck with your search. :thumbsup:
The Shovla
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:23 pm

That's a great site. Turns out some of the foods I've fed in the past aren't nearly as good as I'd thought. With all they hype I can't believe Eukanuba is rated at like 2 stars! It's expensive and it sucks, what a ripp-off. Proplan also sucks and I fed that when my dog was a pup. What's funny is that some of these foods were recommended by vets. Glad i switched over to Kirkland's, as it has 4 stars and is very reasonably priced. I fed Black Gold for a while, it was recommended to me by multiple field trial folks, guess that was a bad recommondation too, good to know.

I might try orijen if I can find a source near missoula. Anyone know the price?
wingnutty
hunter

Postby Bgold » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:25 pm

The Shovla wrote:As someone who worked in the pet food industry for a number of years, many of these suggestions make me laugh and then cringe. As stated above, many people feel they are feeding a good food, and really aren't. I don't want to call anyone out on here that posted above. That's not my style to slam on people. But some stated above are good...Eagle Pack, Blue Buffalo, and Natural Diamond and taste of the wild. Some others are: Solid Gold, Nutro Natural Choice, Royal Canine, Wellness, NurtiSource. Just a few to try. Try to stay away from Corn, Soy, and Bi Products. These are FILLERS, and have no nutritional value. Good luck with your search. :thumbsup:

What do you have against orijen?

Bgold
hunter

Postby TopWop » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:52 pm

Orijen is anywhere from 60 something a bag to 80 bucks a bag...
and that's for a 29.7 lb bag. Yep that's in US dollars..... for dog food.
I'd need a paper route and sell plasma twice a week to pay for that.
For that kind of money I'd expect my dog to crap rainbow sherbert
and fart potpourri.

Think I'll keep slumming it with Diamond Naturals
TopWop
hunter

Next

Return to Montana Duck Hunting