Good dog food?

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Re: Good dog food?

Postby Bgold » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:12 pm

TopWop wrote:Orijen is anywhere from 60 something a bag to 80 bucks a bag...
and that's for a 29.7 lb bag. Yep that's in US dollars..... for dog food.
I'd need a paper route and sell plasma twice a week to pay for that.
For that kind of money I'd expect my dog to crap rainbow sherbert
and fart potpourri.

Think I'll keep slumming it with Diamond Naturals

i used to feed TOW... at 40-60 bucks a bag. I now feed orijen and a bag of that last 1.5 times longer for about 1.5 times the price... See what I’m getting at....

Orijen has a much higher calorie count, hence same amount of nutrition in less scoops. I feed 3 cups a day of orijen. I had to feed 4 cups a day of TOW to meet the same calorie count.
Foamy Log Blind@ ProStaff
"Why sport an Oak when you can float a Log"

Retrieves by Gunner: 23
Bgold
hunter

Postby Fespy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:40 am

The higher quality food does cost more but when you consider that the ingredients actually help your dog and that they don't need as much to get the same (or more) nutritional value, the difference is not that bad.

Another benefit is that their poop is very solid and regular. Might not matter to some but sure makes it easy to clean up the yard.

I have a German Shorthair that loves to run. We feed him Acana (Grasslands and Prairie) 3 cups per day when he's working hard and 2 when he's lounging around the house.
Fespy
Newb

Postby phutch30 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:17 am

I have two children that I "let" pick up poop at 10 cents a turd, so I dont care how much there is or what it looks like. At some point as they get older 10 cents isnt going to be a big deal anymore than I guess I'll have to make the wife pick it up. :lol3:
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Good dog food?

Postby Bgold » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:48 pm

Fespy wrote:The higher quality food does cost more but when you consider that the ingredients actually help your dog and that they don't need as much to get the same (or more) nutritional value, the difference is not that bad.

Another benefit is that their poop is very solid and regular. Might not matter to some but sure makes it easy to clean up the yard.

I have a German Shorthair that loves to run. We feed him Acana (Grasslands and Prairie) 3 cups per day when he's working hard and 2 when he's lounging around the house.

yup!

Bgold
hunter

Postby Frenchy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:53 pm

My lab is on Purina Pro Plan Performance. The old is on Inova Evo. Both have been quality foods from my experience. The old one only has to eat about 3 cups a day so the cost of Evo isn't all that bad for me.

Like someone else mentioned. Keep them on a Puppy food until they are about 1 year old. Then switch to a large breed formula.
Frenchy
hunter

Postby TopWop » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:28 pm

For 80 plus dollars a bag it should be delivered to my house,
automatically fed to my dogs and the crap should vanish
when it hits the grass. Oh, and about 5 pieces of kibble should
feed each dog for a week.

You guys can justify it all you want. I'm not drinkin' that
Kool Aid. I just can't see what could possibly justify 80 plus
bucks for a 30 lb bag of food......... OH yeah I got it, idiots
with too much money that like to boast of their elite commitment
to their pets. And don't give me any of that I love my pet more than you.
Before I learned about what to look for, I fed Bella what now appears
to be some of the worst dog food on the market. She lived, she's
14 and still pretty spry. Point is, I think a lot of it is smoke and mirrors.
At 60 bucks a bag= whatever, It's your money
At 80 bucks a bag= I gotta really nice private lease for ya...
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to shove a bunch of crap in a bag
and see how much I can get for.
it.
TopWop
hunter

Good dog food?

Postby Bgold » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:39 pm

TopWop wrote:For 80 plus dollars a bag it should be delivered to my house,
automatically fed to my dogs and the crap should vanish
when it hits the grass. Oh, and about 5 pieces of kibble should
feed each dog for a week.

You guys can justify it all you want. I'm not drinkin' that
Kool Aid. I just can't see what could possibly justify 80 plus
bucks for a 30 lb bag of food......... OH yeah I got it, idiots
with too much money that like to boast of their elite commitment
to their pets. And don't give me any of that I love my pet more than you.
Before I learned about what to look for, I fed Bella what now appears
to be some of the worst dog food on the market. She lived, she's
14 and still pretty spry. Point is, I think a lot of it is smoke and mirrors.
At 60 bucks a bag= whatever, It's your money
At 80 bucks a bag= I gotta really nice private lease for ya...
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to shove a bunch of crap in a bag
and see how much I can get for.
it.

lol. Why are you so mad about what some of us feed out dogs?
Lolololol. Yes, that's me laughing AT you.

Bgold
hunter

Postby TopWop » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:47 pm

Not even close to being mad Chief.
Just bewildered at what some people believe.
TopWop
hunter

Postby Rat Fink » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:46 pm

MTDUCKS wrote:I recently got a hunting partner, thanks to someone on this site. I've been feeding him Pedigree but the vet said she isn't a fan of Pedigree and recommended Science Diet, which she conveniently had a free sample on hand... I asked her why she likes Science Diet and she didn't really have a specific answer, just "Because it's good."

I don't doubt that it may be good, but I'm just betting they have a deal/contract/ect with Science Diet for their clinic. Can anyone give me any tips on food for a growing puppy? He's about 13 weeks old. If really good food will help him grow well, I'm more than willing to shell out some extra money for good food, but he's a terd machine right now and I don't want to throw away money unnecessarily if I can help it.

Your in Helena right? What vet did you go to? I bounced around for 3 years with poor service and dealing with vets that are not Hunter friendly. I finally found a great vet service with reasonable prices, great service, hunter friendly, and they are very knowledgeable. PM if you want their info. I HIGHLY recommend them. I feed Costco brand Lamb and rice to my adult dogs and Costco brand puppy food to my 7 month old pup. All 4 of our labs do well on those foods.
Rat Fink
hunter

Postby Fespy » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:15 pm

TopWop,

Idiots with too much money? Looks like you are the only one getting bent out of shape. Maybe its because deep down you feel guilty? I didn't see anyone post anything that blasted your choices. Only constructive information that will help others not as smart and frugal as yourself. Facts are facts. There is a term for people that blatantly argue with them, but I think you are already familiar with it.

There are a lot of foods that don't cost $80/bag if you just look. I pay $56/bag (tax included) for Acana 30lb bag.

Feed your dog what you want. Just think about one thing, your dog has to eat and will eat whatever YOU choose regardless of whether it's good for them or not.
Fespy
Newb

Good dog food?

Postby hitnrun » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:34 pm

We have had amazing luck with nutro origin. It's holistic and has no unhealthy additives. Our lab has an awesome coat, hardly sheds, great stamina, healthy teeth and consistent normal poop. what more can you ask for?!?! In comparison to some other cheaper processed foods she has eaten, this has no side effects for her.

http://www.ultraholistic.com/

By the way, I always thought that holistic food was hippie crap.(shrugs)
hitnrun
hunter

Postby montanadogs » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:44 pm

Country Vet dog fuel active for a hard working dog. I ran my yellow lab on it during his field trial and hunt test days. However, if you don't work them hard they have a tendency to get a little hot. I still feed him country vet dog fuel but it is just their basic large breed food. He does great with it. No fillers and not a lot of waste. $30 for a 40lb bag. it is hard to find a dealer however.
My 3 year old black lab I've switched from Country Vet dog fuel to Red Paw. I use their 32K. I've talked with the owner and developer and was very impressed. I've had him on it for all most a year now. I have not ran him in any FT or HT yet with it but in training and while hunting I've been even more impressed. Red paw is still in their infancy stage as far as main stream dog food goes however their roots go back to sled dogs and the Iditarod. I will be switching my yellow lab later next year. I still want to see how my black lab does running FT and HT on it. Between the two it's a toss up for now. That is my $.02.
montanadogs
hunter

Postby montanamallard » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:49 pm

Nutro Natural, Lamb and Rice. Nice coat for my three labs, no health issues expensive but worth it. All vets sell the science diet and make a buck, which is why i think they push it.

I heard that (and they dont have it in MT) Sportsmans Pride is great, and its not nearly expensive. It is what my breeder feeds his dogs.
montanamallard
hunter

Postby mtgreenheads » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:38 am

I've been through quite a few high end feeds, and have settled on Petcurean Go Natural Grain Free Endurance.
mtgreenheads
Newb

Postby phutch30 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:56 am

Im a little picky about what I feed my dog. But when I cant make a decision I always remember my dog loves to eat cow and deer poop and then I just grab a bag of food. I always feel good about my choice then.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Previous

Return to Montana Duck Hunting