Anyone else tired of shooting these

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Anyone else tired of shooting these

Postby phutch30 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:42 pm

#16 for the year

click for larger

Last edited by phutch30 on Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Re: Anyone else tired of shooting these

Postby BenellisbeII » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:01 pm

What I wouldnt give to shoot one with a long tail like that. Long tail Pintails are very rare around my parts.
BenellisbeII
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:19 pm

The second pinni drake that came in almost got wacked too,and he had a really long tail. but a really nice drake widge swung in and I was going to shoot him but my greed for a band won out and I swung off the widge and over onto a greenhead and dumped him. a third drake pintail swung by about 10 min later but he didnt have a tail so got a free pass. In hindsight either the pintail or the widgeon had a better chance of being banded cause the greenhead sure wasnt.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:00 pm

Did you actually white out the background in that pic? Hahaha. What was there a McDonalds in the background or something? Always take pics from a angle that doesn't show the background.
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby GThomp » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:22 pm

We shot a ton of pins this year for some reason.
GThomp
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:17 am

I know a couple poor souls who frequent this site who, alas, have never experienced the joy of shooting a nice drake pintail.
Last edited by phutch30 on Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phutch30
hunter

Postby lundin-loading » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:27 pm

I shot a banded hen pinnie this season, really want a drake to mount as a pair...ive been torn between hitting hardwater and looking for non-existent ducks...
lundin-loading
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:49 pm

Yup, and I bet alot here in western Oregon get tired of em. We've killed our limits of drake pinnies the last three days out, nice sprigs each one of em. Had our choices of which ones to take and they still kept coming in swarms. Wish the mallards were that way here instead of the occasional flock of 3-4.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby phutch30 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:58 pm

we had a group of 3 nice drakes drop into the spread yesterday but I was already limited out on green and my buddy and his son didnt see them in time So they shot greenheads. we ended up with 21 greenheads in an hour.
phutch30
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:15 am

Are groups of pintails common in your area or more of rare specialty? Besides, don't you get tired of shooting all them greenheads?? :lol3:
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby montanamallard » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:20 pm

Ya Hutchy I have never shot a drake Pintail with a "Pin". Thanks for reminding me. Even when Hutch was screaming, choooooooooot, like Troy on swamp men, did I fail to see the drake pin, i thought he was just screaming at me as usual for something else, or telling me that McDonalds had a special on hash browns that day. Needless to say, McDonalds must improve eyesight, because Hutch smacked that duck, then informed me he was trying to let me know there was a pintail there. Its just not in the cards. Heading over to the bighorn from Wed thru Sunday this week. Sounds like I will be getting a suntan and should fish. PT Roofer you want to take me field hunting tomorrow afternoon? Peter is sensitive about me sharing his boyfriends though.......so I understand if you can't. :)
montanamallard
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:39 am

whacking off must affect yours, cause that drake pinnie was floating right over your head. Course he was hiding in 150 mallards. Sort of a Find Waldo. LOL

Mmmmmmm Mcdonalds....drool
phutch30
hunter

Postby montanamallard » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:55 pm

Never saw it, until you went and picked it up and laughed at me.
montanamallard
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:04 am

The guys i hunted with today payed better attention....although when crunch time came Pete didnt have a gun and didnt get a pintail. LOL
phutch30
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting