Gotta Question about Mojo duck vs Super Mojo vs Lucky Duck

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Gotta Question about Mojo duck vs Super Mojo vs Lucky Duck

Postby Will_Hunt_4_Food » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:00 pm

OK...my son and I both received 100 gift cards to Cabelas. We have decided to pool our money together and buy ourselves a motion decoy. My question is which one should we get. We are trying to decide between the Super Mojo vs 2 Baby Mojos vs the regular Mojo vs the Edge by Expedite Super Lucky Duck. Any opinions???
God...Family...the outdoors...the rest is just details.
Will_Hunt_4_Food
hunter

Re: Gotta Question about Mojo duck vs Super Mojo vs Lucky Duck

Postby montanamallard » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:50 pm

Baby mojos. They are light as a feather, wings are light and they have the longest batt life. Plus u can get the 2 pack under 100. Good luck
montanamallard
hunter

Postby TopWop » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:51 pm

I'll let the others chime in on brands. I highly suggest you get one that's rechargeable
and has a remote. I have 2 older ones that eat batteries. Also look at how the wings
attach. What looks simple in the store can be very difficult in cold weather. Set screws
are impossible to find when you drop them. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
Good Luck
TopWop
hunter

Postby pmahler » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:22 am

Baby mojo's no question. Super light, easiest to pound in the ground late season as significantly lighter...size doesn't matter with Mojos in my experience
pmahler
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:33 am

If you can, get them with the intermittent timer so that they go on and off at different intervals.
wingnutty
hunter

Postby MThuntr » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:34 am

I've been less than impressed with my older Super Lucky Duck.

definitely get one with a remote.
MThuntr
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:51 am

Ive been running mojo mallards in standard size for years no complaints. The little ones work just fine also. GET A REMOTE on what ever you buy. Sometimes you can get the hen versions alot cheaper than the standard drake. Just dont forget the remote. I will never own a spinner without one again.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby pmarauder » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:51 pm

I would recommend the new mojo with the quick attach wings. No more losing wing nuts in the dark. Also, very quiet. Baby mojos work good also, Remote is a must.
For geese....... This motion decoy is a must. works like you wouldnt believe. Check it out

http://www.jtrmotiondecoys.com/
pmarauder
hunter

Postby Will_Hunt_4_Food » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:28 pm

pmarauder wrote:I would recommend the new mojo with the quick attach wings. No more losing wing nuts in the dark. Also, very quiet. Baby mojos work good also, Remote is a must.
For geese....... This motion decoy is a must. works like you wouldnt believe. Check it out

So you have actually used this goose decoy? It looks good but 269.00 is a lot of money for one decoy. Pretty cool though.
God...Family...the outdoors...the rest is just details.
Will_Hunt_4_Food
hunter

Postby pmarauder » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:01 pm

Will_Hunt_4_Food wrote:
pmarauder wrote:I would recommend the new mojo with the quick attach wings. No more losing wing nuts in the dark. Also, very quiet. Baby mojos work good also, Remote is a must.

So you have actually used this goose decoy? It looks good but 269.00 is a lot of money for one decoy. Pretty cool though.

Yeah, i have one, and its the best confidence decoy around. I primarily hunt geese and its a pretty "gear intensive" sport. $269 is a small percentage of your gear cost, and once you learn how and when to use it, you will have geese landing at your feet. The flapper draws their eyes to the motion and off of your hide. Before i used the flapper, Geese would sometimes land in the pocket 25 to 35 yards out..... but most would circle and try and pick out your hide. Now that ive added this to the spread, I have had several groups land right at our feet. A couple of geese landed 7 feet from my dog the other day. He didnt move, and i hit the button on the remote from inside my Power-hunter and it drew their eyes off the dog. they just walked out into the spread and started feeding...... Its worth the price...... Plus, i can call and flap at the same time. You cant do that with a Flag.
D
pmarauder
hunter

Postby mojocoot » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:24 am

For the guys with the remotes, when do you turn them off and on? I've heard to turn them off if you have geese working, but do you turn them off once ducks are locked on you as well?
mojocoot
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:37 am

I run mine unless someone wants to shoot geese that are coming in. Sometimes I shut mine off untill I see birds then Ill hit them with a little motion. If its real sunny I shut it off cause I think the fluttering shadow it throws spooks birds. It this situation Ill wait till birds are flying by and hit the spinner to catch thier attention and usually shut it back off. I dont like the intermitient setting. Ive had it turn on just as birds were getting real close and spooked them.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:59 am

Ditto having a remote on your spinner to turn off for approaching geese or intermittently hit to catch attention of far out ducks...like a hail call.

We get to the point where every spread on a given body of water has at least one spinner. I think late season ducks become wary of them. That's when it is good to use to grab ducks' attention and then shut off as they work in. Some days, they like the spinner...some days not so much. We are talking about birds that have been around a while. New northern arrivals are more susceptible to the spinner's lure, I think.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:21 am

a spinner to fresh northern birds is like crack...or a passed out homless man. I.e real hard to resist
phutch30
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting