Duck Boat Progress

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Duck Boat Progress

Postby darcher » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:24 pm

For those of you who are duck boat enthusiasts, I have included a photograph of the up-side-down hull station ribs. Next comes the skin, and then I have a long wait for a 70-degree day to start fiberglassing. Originally I had intended to flip the plug over and work on the top piece, but I do not have faith that I could flip it over without throwing a twist into it or getting it out of alignment. If I scarfed the sheets of plywood together it would hold for a flip, but I am not going to go through all that work. Once the bottom is glassed, I will just leave it on while I flip it. (Yeah, me and about four other men.) You can see the deadrise is only about 10%. It tapers five inches to the nose so with my weight and the motor's weight the nose piece should have enough lift to clear choppy water and get up on plane. The little ears on each station will later serve as a joining lip for the top piece and bottom piece. One worry I have is that when you pull off the hull it is unsupported inside so I will have to have spread poles already cut with alignment marks. So far I am pleased.
Attachments
stations.jpg
stations.jpg (71.58 KiB) Viewed 732 times
darcher
hunter

Re: Duck Boat Progress

Postby kb9zgb » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:58 am

LOOKING GOOD. how heavy do you think it will be?
kb9zgb
hunter

Duck Boat Progress

Postby darcher » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:19 pm

The skin is on so I can see the true shape. I am pleased. I still have to fill gaps, clean the edges up. Now I have a long wait until spring. I won't bother posting anymore photographs. If anyone is interested in the entire process, I have recorded the design and construction of this duck boat on one of my blogs, www.bassandtroutfishingdigest.com.

Went pike fishing a couple of days ago on the Flathead River. We never saw a pike or a mallard, but there were still some big flocks of Canada geese.
Attachments
transome.jpg
transome.jpg (77.2 KiB) Viewed 395 times
bow.jpg
bow.jpg (65.84 KiB) Viewed 395 times
darcher
hunter

Re: Duck Boat Progress

Postby darcher » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:36 pm

That's exactly what my wife asked me, and then she reminded me that I sold the aluminum, Mud Buddy boat to go to something lighter. Truth be told I have no idea, but it will be heavy at 15' with a 4'-10" beam and a top molded piece. One advantage over the old flat-bottom boat is that a flat bottom boat stuck in the mud is a horrible experience for an old guy who has already had one heart attack. With the 10% deadrise on the hull, at least I can tip it and work it around a bit. The hull won't be bad; it is the supports and decking and even foam that add up. I just posted a photo of the boat with the skin on. The top piece will be slower to build because I have to use a lot of plaster to get compound curves, decking and combing. (It ain't pretty when I pry off the top piece from the top plug and the plaster breaks up.)

I will put the boat on my flatbed trailer once the bottom is fiberglassed and the boat is righted in a cradle. This way I can wheel it out in the sun to speed up the drying time for the plaster. Yesterday I worked with the garage doors up!
darcher
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting