Got a visitor from far away today

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Got a visitor from far away today

Postby Troutslayer » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:47 pm

Species: MALLARD

Date banded: 08/18/2010

Banding Location: N MILLS LAKE: 25 MI. NW FT. PROVIDENCE, NORTHWEST TERRITORIES, CANADA

Sex: MALE

Before this, Peace River Alberta was my farthest band, all of my other ones were banded in MT. I knew I had something special because the first digits are 19 and I'd never seen that before. We shot a lot of ducks today and it seems that a little push of them have materialized. Saw some other species that haven't been around all week, as well as some uneducated mallards that didn't seem to know their way around.
Troutslayer
hunter

Re: Got a visitor from far away today

Postby HaydenHunter » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:05 am

Congrats.

I have also shot birds banded in Peace River (Cardinal Lake) and the NWT (Willow / Brackett Lake, Mackenzie River Valley). These were taken in Northern Idaho. The NWT bird was a Pintail hatched and banded that year. Was your NWT bird taken in the Pacific or Central flyway?
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby sbierle » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:10 am

Very cool band recovery! I banded ducks at that station about 20 years ago when I was in college. It is a very remote delta on the McKenzie river and the only way to get around on it was with an airboat. Very good memories of that experience including catching a lynx in one of the walk-in duck traps. Tons of pintails banded at this station and almost all the mallards banded there are adult drakes who come to the delta to molt.

Been watching the forums for a few months as my family and I are moving from SD to Gardiner, MT tomorrow and figured I better get my first post out of the way. Pretty excited about the move and hoping to have enough free time to chase ducks before the season winds down. Have enjoyed reading the posts on here.
sbierle
Newb

Postby HaydenHunter » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:47 am

sbierle, welcome to this board.

And you're gonna like MT.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting