your expert advise needed! :)

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

your expert advise needed! :)

Postby Fledgling fowler » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:22 pm

first of all, I love this site...you guys crack me up!
If you read my Bio you are aware I'm trying to figure out how to successfully hunt the Missouri river out of Great Falls. I moved from SW montana and have only hunted puddle ducks with an occaional field hunt. I have had some good luck recently with Geese and some Ducks on the river, however I do need your advise on a couple things....
1. Boat Advise!!!! I have a 14' lowe jon boat with a powerful :help: 6 horse prop outboard! I have had some serious adventures in the last couple weeks from hardly moving upstream at a total snails pace against the current and 50 mph winds with two hunters a dog, deeks and two limits of geese and some ducks thrown in for good measure to the many times I have ran aground with the prop and had to Lewis & Clark my boat upstream for way to far... :no: :hammer:
So... I am under the impression I need a new boat or at the very least a much bigger outboard... I would like to hear what you guys would reccomend for river hunting around these parts. I would like to be able to fish out of this boat in the summer as well. Do I go Jet or longtail and how big of a boat??

2. anyone have any really good goose Recipies??

Any advise, comments, suggestions you can give me would be greatly appreciated.... !
Fledgling fowler
Newb

Re: your expert advise needed! :)

Postby TopWop » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:41 pm

I was going to respond ..... then realized you wanted Expert advise ;)

Goose Recipe:
Goose
Steak
Shovel

Bury the goose, eat the steak
TopWop
hunter

Postby Will_Hunt_4_Food » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:05 am

Well...I am no expert but I CAN tell you what my brother in law did who was in the same situation. He had a 14 modified v with a 10 horse. He sold it and went up to a 16foot john with a 30 horse jet. He said the extra length made the boat WAY more stable...especially controlling the boat in the current. He said before when he had to turn the boat in a current it felt like the boat was sliding. Once he got the bigger boat and motor he could cut through it like it was nothing. He said that the jet also made a huge difference...obviously it was faster but he said he didn't have to worry about busting up his prop so he keeps it on plain while going through shallow areas. Anyways...I know it's not much but that is the info I got.

Now personally I don't know about the size of the boat but I would look into a bigger motor with a jet. If you go with a longer tail mud type of motor you are still dealing with a prop drive.
God...Family...the outdoors...the rest is just details.
Will_Hunt_4_Food
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:35 am

When I was a mud motor dealer we sold a rig to a guy out of GF who was tired of his jet outboard being jammed up with slush ice. I say get yourself a 17 or 18 foot boat, 48" to 54" wide, and put a stock 35-36 HP short tail mud motor on it (Prodrive, Mudbuddy, GatorTail, GoDevil). It will take you anywhere you need to go.

As for a goose recipe, I either jerky my goose breasts or take them to the butcher to have sausage, pepperoni or pepper sticks made out of them. I cook and eat my ducks.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby TopWop » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:39 pm

If a river has that much slush the only birds you are
going to find are divers. I start looking for springs
when the river slush's up, won't put my dogs in it either.
TopWop
hunter

Postby Lawdog » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:36 pm

Welcome to the forum.

I run a 16' foot with a jet. Although I would love a bigger badder boat, it's small and safe and goes into places where ducks hide when the weather is bad (not this year).

Goose jerky: Brine it, then freeze it, then slice it into strips. Then cure it with your choice, smoke it over hickory for several hours, then dry it. Yum.
Rest in Peace, Ryder. Boy, you went before your time, in the start of your prime. You were loyal and are missed.

~ 4 March 2013.
Lawdog
State Moderator

Postby MThuntr » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:36 pm

I have no idea about boats except that you want them to float :biggrin:

A friend sent me this recipe and I have yet to try it but it shows some promise due to the powerful flavors:

"Chipotle Lime Marinadeā€ Steak

1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/8 cup dijon mustard
1 Tbs diced chipotle peppers in adobe sauce
1 Tbs chipotle pepper sauce (adobe sauce)
3 cloves of garlic diced
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

drizzle in 1/4 cup olive oil while mixing, cut lean steak/roast into strips and mix with marinade. Leave in fridge over night.

Marinade should be enough for 2-3 lbs of meat
Fry or grill until done serve with rice, black beans, and tortillas
MThuntr
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:38 pm

I'd certainly recommend the biggest and best boat that one can afford on our rivers. As someone who came about as close to a person can come from perishing one March while fishing the Bitterroot (after I got pulled out my temp was 89 degrees at the hospital), I can say that it doesn't pay to skimp or challenge our rivers with less than worthy craft. Although I still violate my own rule on occassion :fingerhead: . I'd certainly say at least a 16 with a good jet for the Missouri but a short-tail would be my first choice :thumbsup:

I normally jerk my geese or grind them and make pepperoni sticks, summer sausage or brats, but i'm gonna try a corned-beef recipe from a guy your wife used to work with, he says its great.
wingnutty
hunter

Postby jhanson1114 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:27 am

Throw the goose in a crock pot for about 8 hrs or until tender. Pull apart, add BBQ sauce and seasoning to your liking. Serve on buns, better than pulled pork!

As for the boat, it can be hard to hide a big boat on this portion of the river. However it is definitely easier to control a bigger boat in the current. I would say a short tail is the way to go!
jhanson1114
hunter

Postby Lawdog » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:00 am

wingnutty wrote:I'd certainly recommend the biggest and best boat that one can afford on our rivers. As someone who came about as close to a person can come from perishing one March while fishing the Bitterroot (after I got pulled out my temp was 89 degrees at the hospital), I can say that it doesn't pay to skimp or challenge our rivers with less than worth.

Excellent points. I nearly lost three friends this year to a boating accident.... It can't be overstated that the margin for error on rivers is small. Spend time with someone who knows what they are doing and learn.
Rest in Peace, Ryder. Boy, you went before your time, in the start of your prime. You were loyal and are missed.

~ 4 March 2013.
Lawdog
State Moderator

Postby phutch30 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:59 am

If your only going to run it on the river or weed free lakes I dont think your going to be able to beat a Jet. If its so slushy Im worried about my jets performance I dont bother hunting cause its not safe. You cant see the water hazards under the slush and besides and my experiance tells me the ducks wont be there anyway.

I started with a 16' with a 40/28 jet and pretty quick realized it wasnt big enough. I now have an 18' with a 90/65 jet and kinda am thinking a bigger one wouldnt be all that bad an idea. a couple guys dogs and gear fill up space fast.

In my opinion get the most powerful jet you can afford. You never know when you will have to get outa there fast. I went swimming in the bighorn 2 years ago and if it hadnt been 40 degrees I would have been in trouble as my old boat wouldnt go back upriver with me two other big guys a couple dogs gear and 200lbs of dead birds. It was a long cold 2 hour drive downriver to the next takeout.

Me and a Buddy are thinking of heading up around you for the last couple days of the season. If we do and you would like to hook up. I'll trade a spot in my boat for some local knowlege.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby Fledgling fowler » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:58 pm

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and advise... I really like this forum and appreciate the help available and the motivation to keep on keeping on.

I am assuming a short tail is the same thing as the surface drive?? I know what happens when I assume, so I thought I had better clarify this???

PHutch... I would love to hunt birds with you. As far as Local knowledge, I don't have a lot as I just moved here in mid August, but I am trying to learn as fast as I can. I do have time to scout around and see where the birds are! So let me know if you have room in your boat.

thanks again everyone..
JT
Fledgling fowler
Newb

Postby HaydenHunter » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:02 pm

Phutch, if you have not done it already you should put a "dunk bag" in your boat. It contains a towel, an extra set of long johns, sweat pants, turtleneck and even a liner jacket. I took a swim a couple of years ago...didn't fall out of the boat but did a face plant after tripping on an underwater obstacle when I was walking in the dekes. It was 10 degrees out, and it was hard to strip buck naked, but when I dried off and put the warm stuff on (and emptied the water out of my 5mm waders) I was warm enough to finish what ended up being a kick-ass hunt.

Dunk bag...
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:25 pm

I usually do now. Swimming in a river in the middle of nowhere in Jan and living is sort of one of lifes "heads up" experiances.
I have a dry bag with a towle matches, sweat pants and usually a rain suit I use as a wind breaker.

I love how all the "I got wet when it was cold" stories end with but I finnished hunting. LOL
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:00 am

phutch30 wrote:I love how all the "I got wet when it was cold" stories end with but I finnished hunting. LOL
Yeah...the things we will do for a duck (or 7). :lol3:
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby darcher » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:02 am

Bad ass boats. Big motors, and goose stew!

Cut the breast in thin strips, and then pound it just like flank steak. Flour and salt and pepper and braise in bacon grease. Slow cook for two hours. I use a package of stew mix, along with onion, carrots, celery, bell pepper and mushrooms. I serve over noodles. EVERYONE raves about this simple dish.

Final thought. Surface drive mud motors run with very expensive props. A 35 hp Mud Buddy will weigh in at 265 pounds. You need a welded aluminum boat. A 17' Gator Trax boat is one of the best. A 14' jon boat just won't work well. (My observation as well as talking to many owners at Klamath Lake.)

Now, if you are like the rest of us, you probably can't afford a new motor and new boat. Consider getting a two-stroke and putting a prop protector on it. Yeah, I know all about four strokes, but a good used two-stroke is lighter on the boat and lighter on your budget. Good luck. Check out the bottom half of my "Ideal Duck Boat." Best of luck in your search. Picking a boat is all about compromise!
darcher
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting