As Expected given this front...

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Re: As Expected given this front...

Postby TopWop » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:12 pm

DAMN THE MAN!!!!!!!!
TopWop
hunter

Postby wickedmfer » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:11 pm

:lol:

LOL
"X" <-------Best Dog...........EVER!
wickedmfer
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:41 pm

Sorry I tend to take offence to the public casting dispersions on us, especially when I have to deal with the public. Put 10 people in a room and try to get them to agree on something forget about a whole friggin state.

Its all good.
Last edited by phutch30 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby lundin-loading » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:55 pm

On a positive note, the perch you do catch in cf now are TOADS, we can't completely blame the walleye, how many stories about taking home 5gallon buckets of perch have you heard? What about cannibal predation from other perch, or the native apex predator burbot? I have no solutions for the issues, management of canyon ferry as a fishery is a very controversial topic with alot of opinions.
lundin-loading
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:13 pm

Everyone is an expert on game management...just ask them :rolleyes:

It gets so annoying hearing sportsmen complain about everything under the sun and MOST times, the people complaining have made incorrect assumptions and are basing their complaints on inaccurate facts.

The truth is that MTFWP staff are good folks by and large. The walk a fine line trying to make people from different sides of the spectrum happy. You can complain all you want, but until you've spent some time in their shoes, I don't really care to hear your complaints. I am fortunate to work with a lot of MTFWP folks and I have found most of them to be damn good, very common-sense and have the interest of sportsman foremost in mind.

Walleye, I just believe that had there been slot limits sooner and lower
catch limits the fishing wouldn't be so bad now.

See, no offense, but just because you 'think' doesn't mean you are correct and this is the problem with many sportsmen, they 'think' they know what is best, but their thoughts are often not based on facts or figures, but rather mis-guided assumptions. Personally, I will stick with phutch's experienced knowledge regarding fish and aquatic ecosystems, even if he does work for a lousy agency that wants to turn eastern montana into a buffalo preserve :hi: :hammer:
wingnutty
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:15 pm

How cool would a buffalo preserve be!!!
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:27 pm

See, told ya!

I'm tellin' ya, you should have been there for Abbey's meeting. Funny to see a town with a population of 1800 fill a gym with 4,000 pissed off people :lol3: I really felt sorry for your boys, makes life rough for them, although fortunately most people understand the politics involved and don't blame peons for the poor decisions of their upper level mgt.
wingnutty
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:39 pm

I hate having to attend a meeting like that. They all look at you like its your idea.

You talking about the buffalo area up in North Central by the CMR that the granolas are working on?
phutch30
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:47 pm

yeah. After memos leaked that the DOI had closed door meetings with WWF about declaring all those counties a 'National Monument'/ :rolleyes:
wingnutty
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:42 am

Paul, you are right. Non-residents have a way worse chance of drawing a tag. The little qualifier that non-residents get "up-to 10% of the tags" means that the chances of drawing are significantly less than residents because all the names go in the same hat, and non-residents only get a tag if they get drawn from the same pool, but they can only get up to 10% of the tags. It's a total scam, I will have to find a mathematician to do the math for me, but it's got to be about the same odds as winning Powerball. I will not be wasting my money trying for a tag in MT this year considering the sizable "donation" to FWP that I would have to give because they only refund 80% of the money if you don't draw. It took a long conversation with a FWP employee to figure out the things that they don't bother to print.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:27 pm

Ya sorry but didnt want you to keep wasting time and money. Your not alone, most people dont read the fine print so to speak. Im 15 years into a tag for that same general area as a resident. Dont feel bad.

How'd your season end?
phutch30
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:23 am

phutch30 wrote:How'd your season end?

Not that great. Paid my dues, found some spots, banged on some doors, hunted with some people. I got killer invites on hunts that I couldn't go on and later got the pics of bands, limits, harlequins and eurasian wigeons. Next year will be better. The steelhead fishing is a lot more rewarding than the duck hunting or I'm a lot better at it because I've captured a lot more chromers than ducks, and I can live with that. Everything is so far away, but not Montana far with the trip being almost as enjoyable as what you do when you get there. There are ducks here and there are guys that know how to bang down limits just as well as we do in MT, but I probably won't be in that club for a couple of years if I can stand it here that long.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:29 pm

Im heading out to do a sea duck hunt with the guy I told you about next winter. Maybe we can hook up
phutch30
hunter

Postby GThomp » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:19 am

As for the non-resident debate... I am fine with paying $80 to hunt ducks for the season here as a dirty non-resident intrusive hunter. What i am not willing to deal with is natives who think they own all the public land. I am also not willing to deal with BS involved with keying my truck at a boat launch because i have out of state plates. I also do not need to hear about how out of staters do not respect the pristine wilderness Montana has to offer. More often than not i see the so called native Montanan in elk camp leave 100 empty beers behind and did not get an elk because of the "wolves" the out of staters introduced.

Many of you may think i am BSing about this, but every word is true, seen with my own eyes. I also love the natives who have a chip on their shoulder about being born here and want everyone to stay the hell out. Without tourist dollars, Montana would be a total and complete dump. The entirety of Bozeman construction employment comes from building up at big sky for out of staters. Wish they were gone and you could collect unemployment? Between skiing, hunting, and the national parks none of the businesses here would make anything. Without college students Bozeman would not have any of the conveniences and box stores everyone from 100 miles around eagerly makes trips to.

I can understand not liking people who disrupt or destroy things in the state, but more often its your 16 year old son shooting road signs, not the 40 year old out of state deer/elk hunter. The area i grew up in got invaded by yankees fleeing the sinking ship that is New Jersey for all the obvious reasons. I know what Montana has been through by observing the influx of people into my own community back east, and it brings good and bad. Its changing, not disappearing. Where i lived the "country" disappeared into housing developments. I have shot deer in places that are now some Jerseyite's front yard. Montana will never be completely bought and sold, as the climate keeps most people away. Not very many people can take the winter here, so worry not, the public river access and lakes will always be here. Not to mention the national forest most people are not willing to hike into to get to the elk.
GThomp
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:13 am

Why are you paying non resident fees?
phutch30
hunter

Postby ezzie99 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:52 pm

Gthomp, you are dead on, I lived in eastern mt for 10 years, managed a sporting goods store. It was never the out of staters who were game violaters, it was the locals and the out of towners residents that did the damage. They always blamed the out of stater for everything. The fwp is in my opinion still to low for upland and waterfowl nonres license, I wouldnt flinch at $200.00 for each, but I normally hunt mt for 5-6 weeks, have a cabin on a reservoir there, and I'm proud to be called a Fn out of stater by my in state buds... :beer:
ezzie99
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:36 pm

I would say the violation rate is close to 50/50.
phutch30
hunter

Postby GThomp » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:36 am

phutch30 wrote:Why are you paying non resident fees?

Because my car insurance rates will go up drastically if i live in this state, and i will lose my parent's health insurance. I also am not sure i won't have to leave here to find a job when i graduate. For my particular circumstances as a college student, it makes sense. For others it may not. You can't say it is 50/50 for amount of game violations committed, there are far more in state hunters than out of state hunters. A great many out of state hunters also hire legitimate outfitters who keep things on the up and up.
GThomp
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:16 pm

i will lose my parent's health insurance

You shouldn't. Do a little research; the recent healthcare bill that got passed makes sure students and young adults are covered by their parents regardless of their residency until age 26.

I'm surprised your insurance will go up, Montana is pretty cheap.
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:04 pm

I thought you were a student at MSU?
phutch30
hunter

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:03 am

So when you go home do you hunt as a resident?
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby GThomp » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:17 pm

The montana non res hunting license is cheaper than in my home state, and yes, i do hunt as a resident when i go home for winter break. Just looked into the whole health insurance thing today, and i was wrong. The insurance thing is very real... Montana has the most dangerous roads per capita in the US as far as insurance in concerned. Only a couple major cities have higher rates (this is according to my insurance company, USAA)
GThomp
hunter

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:50 pm

I am assuming your home state is New Jersey from your earlier post, of course I could be wrong. Regardless I am sure the residency requirements are the same in most states. Pulled the following from New Jersey regulations. Guess Montana isn't the only state with law breaking residents. Those in glass house's.........................

Resident Licenses
It is unlawful for any person to obtain a resident license unless they have actually lived in this state for 6 months immediately prior to the time of application.

Source website:http://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/licenses.htm
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:52 pm

Of course there could be some exception for college students but I couldn't find anything saying that in the regs. Of course I didn't spend a ton of time researching it, as it doesn't make a difference to me one way or the other.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby GThomp » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:17 am

PTROOFER FTFOWLER wrote:I am assuming your home state is New Jersey from your earlier post, of course I could be wrong. Regardless I am sure the residency requirements are the same in most states. Pulled the following from New Jersey regulations. Guess Montana isn't the only state with law breaking residents. Those in glass house's.........................

Resident Licenses
It is unlawful for any person to obtain a resident license unless they have actually lived in this state for 6 months immediately prior to the time of application.

Source website:http://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/licenses.htm

I will never willingly set foot in New Jersey willingly ever again... That being said, i am from Virginia and South Carolina. Never lived in NJ, they all just move to my part of Virginia.
GThomp
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Montana Duck Hunting