Trying to find more land to hunt around bozeman...

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Trying to find more land to hunt around bozeman...

Postby chaltig » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:36 pm

I'm here going to school and this is my 3rd season of hunting here and I hunt the same 2 spots, one on the Maddison river, and one piece of land outside of big timber on the yellowstone.

I'm trying to find some new land to hunt for next season which will be my last season in Montana. I've looked over the block management land maps rigorously looking for land in the surrounding area to hunt ducks. If any one has any leads or tips to follow that would be awesome. I'm new around here so I don't know where the public ground around here is. Only what I've been told so far and what I've found on the maps.

I'm going to do a ton of scouting and asking for permission next fall and I know you don't want to give up the good spots but any help would be greatly appreciated.

I know there are spots out there according to this sweet video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3OX_vTSGyA
Last edited by chaltig on Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Field Staff Pacific Custom Calls
chaltig
hunter

Re: Trying to find more land to hunt around bozeman...

Postby rew » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:41 am

check out this website it will tell you land ownership http://svc.mt.gov/msl/mtcadastral/

also check out fishing access sites, you can hunt some of them. you can also hunt high water down, not sure if this helps or if you have a boat. most of all do some scouting before or during season to see whre birds are.
rew
hunter

Postby GThomp » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:14 am

Thats funny because i have been here for three years and have 20 spots... Get a Delorme atlas and scout. With the increased pressure i saw this season its every man for themselves at this point.
GThomp
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:03 am

Park outside Gthomp's place at 5:00 am and do some surveillance. You'll probably have even better luck if you sneak into the back seat of his rig without him knowing and surprise him with a 'backrup' on the way to his spot. But I'd recommend wearing a poncho, things could get messy.

Good luck! And please don't tell us how it all turns out :lol:
wingnutty
hunter

Postby chaltig » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:25 pm

GThomp wrote:Thats funny because i have been here for three years and have 20 spots... Get a Delorme atlas and scout. With the increased pressure i saw this season its every man for themselves at this point.

Lucky you! I need to do some more scouting.
chaltig
hunter

Postby chaltig » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:26 pm

rew wrote:check out this website it will tell you land ownership http://svc.mt.gov/msl/mtcadastral/

also check out fishing access sites, you can hunt some of them. you can also hunt high water down, not sure if this helps or if you have a boat. most of all do some scouting before or during season to see whre birds are.

Thank you for this map! And for the tips!
chaltig
hunter

Postby rew » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:35 am

good luck next year guys!
rew
hunter

Postby 2point » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:13 pm

I am not a tech type guy when it comes to phones, but a friend of mine said if you have a smart phone you can get an app where you find a piece of land you like, the GPS will look up who owns it and give you their name and phone number. If true that would make scouting a lot easier.

It would be nice, we found a spot one time and called around and finally got the owner (we thought) and they said yes, we hunted it two days and found out the second day we were one fence off and got royally chewed out. We tried to tell this person it was an honest mistake, you don't sneak on somebody's land with 100 decoys and ground blinds and park on the county road. Didn't work out well.

We kept saying we were sorry and we will pack up and move to the other side of the fence. We used the land owners name who we thought we were on and asked if they owned the other side of the fence and they would not answer us. I thought that was child like and showed it was an honest mistake. Good luck scouting.

Here is another great private land map, if anybody owns over 40 acres I believe, you can get their name.
http://nris.mt.gov/gis/ownmaps.asp
2point
hunter

Postby Will_Hunt_4_Food » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:33 pm

2point wrote:I am not a tech type guy when it comes to phones, but a friend of mine said if you have a smart phone you can get an app where you find a piece of land you like, the GPS will look up who owns it and give you their name and phone number. If true that would make scouting a lot easier.

It would be nice, we found a spot one time and called around and finally got the owner (we thought) and they said yes, we hunted it two days and found out the second day we were one fence off and got royally chewed out. We tried to tell this person it was an honest mistake, you don't sneak on somebody's land with 100 decoys and ground blinds and park on the county road. Didn't work out well.

We kept saying we were sorry and we will pack up and move to the other side of the fence. We used the land owners name who we thought we were on and asked if they owned the other side of the fence and they would not answer us. I thought that was child like and showed it was an honest mistake. Good luck scouting.

Here is another great private land map, if anybody owns over 40 acres I believe, you can get their name.

Had a similar thing happen to me and my son...only thing was...we WERE on the correct land. It was some jackass hunter that didn't want anyone else hunting "their" spot so he claimed to be the owner. We called up the person that we had thought owned the land and told them about it. He rode with us out there to make sure we were on his property and sure enough we were legal. While we were out there the person that kicked us off claiming to be the owner came tearing up in his truck. He started walking out into the field yelling at us and telling us that we had to get the F*** out of there and that we were trespassing...well...until he saw the real owner standing there with us. The owner kicked him off of the property for good. Just hope he lets us back next year.
God...Family...the outdoors...the rest is just details.
Will_Hunt_4_Food
hunter

Postby GThomp » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:28 am

Will_Hunt_4_Food wrote:
2point wrote:I am not a tech type guy when it comes to phones, but a friend of mine said if you have a smart phone you can get an app where you find a piece of land you like, the GPS will look up who owns it and give you their name and phone number. If true that would make scouting a lot easier.

Had a similar thing happen to me and my son...only thing was...we WERE on the correct land. It was some jackass hunter that didn't want anyone else hunting "their" spot so he claimed to be the owner. We called up the person that we had thought owned the land and told them about it. He rode with us out there to make sure we were on his property and sure enough we were legal. While we were out there the person that kicked us off claiming to be the owner came tearing up in his truck. He started walking out into the field yelling at us and telling us that we had to get the F*** out of there and that we were trespassing...well...until he saw the real owner standing there with us. The owner kicked him off of the property for good. Just hope he lets us back next year.

Thats the kind of crap that makes me not hunt private land ever... Unless i personally know and have a friendly relationship with the owner of the land. People like that make this state really suck for a lot of people.
GThomp
hunter

Postby wickedmfer » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:39 am

That sounds like hunter harassment to me. Might be able to drop a little legal on the DB.
"X" <-------Best Dog...........EVER!
wickedmfer
hunter

Postby skiracer1 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:48 am

I am gonna be a freshman attending MSU this fall, and I am looking for people to hunt with from the school, or wherever in the city, or just any information to help get me started out there. I am from a suburb of Minneapolis, Minnesota and do allot of duck hunting and bowhunting. But I am pretty lost when it comes to where to hunt in Bozeman area. But I most likely am gonna be bringing just my gun, decoys, waders, calls, etc. I hunt many days throughout the fall but im just looking for someone to hook up with to hunt out in Montana this fall. Would really appreciate it if someone could help me out, or direct me to a place where I could find some people to hunt with.
skiracer1
Newb

Postby Lawdog » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:18 pm

Skiracer, welcome.

Please don't resurrect a thread that's been dead for 18 months. Go ahead and start a new one. Might also consider posting in the welcome/bio thread as well.
Rest in Peace, Ryder. Boy, you went before your time, in the start of your prime. You were loyal and are missed.

~ 4 March 2013.
Lawdog
State Moderator

Return to Montana Duck Hunting