BOO YAA!!

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

BOO YAA!!

Postby phutch30 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:03 pm

While checking out a piece of public land I was thinking of calling for coyotes and just trying to get a feel for the layout, I see a herd of mule deer right where I want to call. Im think darn it this spots not worth calling. In my experiance trying to call with a herd of deer in view ends up with deer running all over and no coyotes. So Im glassing the deer to see if theres a buck and I see they are all looking at the tree line. So thinking there may be more deer over there I pan the tree line and just inside, sitting beside a pine is a big bobcat. A quick look in the regs to see what unit im in and another to my buddy to see if the quota has been filled all the time thinking the quota HAS to be filled this late in the season. To say I was thrilled when my buddy said there was still some cats left on the quota is an understatment. I quickly devised a game plan and put on a stalk. When I got to the top of the hill the deer were looking at the cat and he was looking at them. The deer saw me and all started looking in my direction, when they did the cat started stalking downhill towards them (and me) when he hit 100 yards I lip squeaked and he stopped turned in my direction and.. WOP! frontal shot with the .17 rem. DRT no exit/ no damage on a big MT tom.

I stopped by a fur buyer on the way home after getting the cat tagged and he offered $535 on the carcase stating if I put him up and could get him over 40" he'd pay more.He was thinking this cat was only going to go 38-maybe 40". I laughed and told him "that cat is 29-30lbs and will go 43-44" easy. I was close on the weight 28.83lbs and under on the length. Just put the tape on him at 46" nose to base of tail with 8" across the base. He has a great "A" color belly but a plain back.

What a cool experiance. Ive caught a bunch in traps and had 1 come into a call in a closed area years ago but ive never got one sans traps. Probably only seen 5 or 6 in my life just out and about.

....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Re: BOO YAA!!

Postby Will_Hunt_4_Food » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:25 am

Very Cool!!!
God...Family...the outdoors...the rest is just details.
Will_Hunt_4_Food
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:36 am

Nice lookin cat hutch :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:32 am

That's a pretty big cat! Nice! Did the mulies still have antlers?
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby MontanaMatt » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:23 am

Wow! Putting a stalk on a bobcat. Thats good huntin right there. Thats as tough as it gets as far as stalking goes. Nice work.
MontanaMatt
hunter

Postby ezzie99 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:01 pm

nice work.... :beer:
ezzie99
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting