Army Guy going to Bozeman

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Army Guy going to Bozeman

Postby IEDDIGGER » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:29 pm

Hey guys - I know that asking a guy to reveal the honey holes is like asking to date his wife but any advice, pointers, or just steering me in the right direction would be much appreciated. Since 2007 I have lived in Washing State, Iraq, Idaho, Afghanistan, and now Missouri. I am headed to Bozeman in July and I need some help to figure out where to hunt? Iv'e been in the military for 20 years and every time I get to really know where to go to get into some good hunting it is time to move again. Just thought I would ask for some help this time. I have a 13 year old that is waterfowl (and upland) crazy and I would love to get him into some birds in our first year instead of farting around scouting half the state and telling him "maybe next year it will be better". I am not afraid to drive a few hours to get into some birds. I know absolutely nothing about Bozeman or hunting in Montana so I would really appreciate any words of wisdom. thanks
IEDDIGGER
Newb

Re: Army Guy going to Bozeman

Postby phutch30 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:44 pm

Knock on doors and when that doesnt work hit the gallitin, missouri by three forks and Canyon Ferry. Drove through bozeman/belgrade the other day and cant get over how many housing developments are in places I used to duck hunt and trap when going to college.

In a nutshell be prepared to travel.Bozone isnt what she was 10-15 years ago in terms of waterfowl hunting
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby Lawdog » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:53 pm

Thanks for your service and welcome home.
Rest in Peace, Ryder. Boy, you went before your time, in the start of your prime. You were loyal and are missed.

~ 4 March 2013.
Lawdog
State Moderator

Postby IEDDIGGER » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:35 pm

Thanks to both of you gents. I really look forward to heading to Montana. 80 degrees today in Missouri so I want to go play in the snow. I shelled out $500 for me and my son to shoot snow geese (guided of course) for the first time a couple weeks ago and we got 2 whole birds out of the deal. I have higher hopes to get some Canada's around Bozeman in the fall. We'll see I guess.....
IEDDIGGER
Newb

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:22 am

Snow? Whats that? Forecast is for temps in the low seventies this week.
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:25 am

Its raining here in Dillon.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby TopWop » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:23 am

Bozo got a couple inches overnight. Better hurry it's melting quick.
TopWop
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:04 am

raining again here
phutch30
hunter

Postby jberg440 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:43 pm

Welcome to the area Digger! There are lots of areas within 2hrs of Bozeman with decent hunting, just gotta use some common duck sense to find em!
The man banging on the door kept yelling "Alcohol, Tobbaco, and Firearms!" I just assumed it was more supplies.
jberg440
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting