Looks like the next chapter in My hunting life is started

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Looks like the next chapter in My hunting life is started

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:22 am

Well after five three hour per night classes all week my twelve year old daughter took her hunters safety exam, eighty questions and she missed one. All she wants to do next season is hunt, deer, elk, pheasant, geese and of course ducks. After not hunting big game last season and concentrating on waterfowl looks like its time to dust off the hunters orange again. Heading out this weekend to buy her a new .243 and look at some 20 guage shotguns.

In all honesty, the season is still months away and I can say I have never looked forward to a season more. I don't care if I don't harvest a single critter this year, as long as she has fun and gets hooked I will be happy.

Pretty humbling sitting through all the classes with her and realizing that half the stuff they were teaching I didn't even know.

Beware fellow hunters, there is going to be a new hunting chic running around the state this year, and her name is Meadoe!
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Re: Looks like the next chapter in My hunting life is started

Postby Glimmerjim » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:40 am

PTROOFER FTFOWLER wrote:Well after five three hour per night classes all week my twelve year old daughter took her hunters safety exam, eighty questions and she missed one. All she wants to do next season is hunt, deer, elk, pheasant, geese and of course ducks. After not hunting big game last season and concentrating on waterfowl looks like its time to dust off the hunters orange again. Heading out this weekend to buy her a new .243 and look at some 20 guage shotguns.

In all honesty, the season is still months away and I can say I have never looked forward to a season more. I don't care if I don't harvest a single critter this year, as long as she has fun and gets hooked I will be happy.

Pretty humbling sitting through all the classes with her and realizing that half the stuff they were teaching I didn't even know.

Beware fellow hunters, there is going to be a new hunting chic running around the state this year, and her name is Meadoe!

That's great buddy! Getting the kids into it makes it all worthwhile and bodes well for the future of hunting. By the way, if your avatar picture is her with one of her friends, I'd be more than happy to help in teaching her the joys of the outdoor life! :biggrin:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby TopWop » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:02 am

That's great Ray! Should be the start of some great times.
Can I suggest the Howa 7mm-08. My 12 yo cousin got one and
she is deadly with it. The ballistics are great and doesn't kick much.
Ammo is a little more but I have shot it and it really does some damage.
Good Luck and can't wait for some stories.
TopWop
hunter

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:09 am

[/quote]
That's great buddy! Getting the kids into it makes it all worthwhile and bodes well for the future of hunting. By the way, if your avatar picture is her with one of her friends, I'd be more than happy to help in teaching her the joys of the outdoor life! :biggrin:[/quote]

Dude she is eleven!

Just thought I would change my avatar to a pic of her mom to include her as well.
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:41 am

That's awesome Ray! I'd be excited too. Get her into the field and make some memories :thumbsup:
wingnutty
hunter

Postby 2point » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:58 am

I always like to see kids get involved in the outdoors. I teach middle school and on Mondays we always go over weekend news and there is too much played video games all weekend. I have a wall of fame board up in my room for hunting fishing pictures and every year it seems more girls are on it. This year I had several girls upset they didn't get to hunt because their dads were working in the oil fields of North Dakota and couldn't take them. I sure hope next year works out for them. I like all kids to be outdoors but it does my heart good when a girl out does the bragging boys.

I would second the 7mm-08 for a kid. I bought my daughter a Stevens/Savage in 7mm-08 and she is 5 foot and 100 pounds and she can shoot it all day. She has shot 4 deer and they don't take a step (no spine shots). I would feel comfortable with her shooting an elk with it. If you find bullets you like buy a bunch, because they do run out during the season.

Enjoy it as time goes fast, seems like yesterday we went through hunters safety and now my daughter is in college. But she still gets home at Thanksgiving for a weekend of deer hunting. My only problem is I always prided myself on having a good eye for spotting game, and my daughter puts me to shame. I don't know how many times last year I whispered where Nichole? :biggrin:
2point
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:28 am

Congrats to you and your daughter :thumbsup: Alot of memories are going to be made . Might want to look into a good camera :beer:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:10 am

PTROOFER FTFOWLER wrote: Dude she is eleven!

Just thought I would change my avatar to a pic of her mom to include her as well.

I know. I was just making a joke....I thought. Must not have been a good one! No offense intended. :biggrin:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Lawdog » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:52 pm

Congrats!
Rest in Peace, Ryder. Boy, you went before your time, in the start of your prime. You were loyal and are missed.

~ 4 March 2013.
Lawdog
State Moderator

Postby jhanson1114 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:18 pm

Sounds like it's going to be a great season! I also would look for a 7mm-08, I recommend a Savage Axis for the price, durability, accuracy, and weight you can't beat it. You can find one for under $300 most places.
jhanson1114
hunter

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:14 am

On the advice of some of the most well rounded hunters and experienced marksmen I know, namely Topwop I purchased her a Howwa 7mm-08. Fit her well and I liked that it came with a additional stock for when she gets older. Haven't shot it yet, didn't think it was worthwile taking her out to sight it in when the wind was blowing fifty mph, and unfortunatly I don't remember the last day it wasn't blowing at least that hard.
Red Lodge DU banquet tonight, hopefully she can pick up some cool accessories, I wouldn't mind getting a gun as well.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:47 am

:thumbsup: on the 7-08 excellent round for deer and antelope
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting