Dove huning in Montana?

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Dove huning in Montana?

Postby chaltig » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:39 pm

I've never hunted doves here in Montana, and I never hear anything about it. So...how is it?
Field Staff Pacific Custom Calls
chaltig
hunter

Re: Dove huning in Montana?

Postby wingnutty » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:53 pm

depends where you live. Not much for doves in western MT..they can be had, but it is certainly not easy finding them in huntable numbers.

I killed numerous limits in early sept. in eastern MT, but even then, finding huntable numbers was a challenge.

Also killed a lot of doves in eastern Idaho and Wisconsin. I can't hunt um now though because I"m on the flathead reservation and they don't allow it, but there aren't enough here to really mess with anyhow.
wingnutty
hunter

Postby chaltig » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:40 pm

Yeah I was scrolling through the dates and i will be here and might go try my luck, but it might be worth me just heading back to Mosses Lake, WA where I'm guaranteed to shoot a couple limits.
chaltig
hunter

Postby TopWop » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:23 pm

I know some people around Terry that are avid Dove hunters.
Might be better off finding a grain elevator and shooting some pidgeon's ;)
TopWop
hunter

Postby chaltig » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:27 pm

I mean they kinda look a like.... :hammer:
chaltig
hunter

Postby wickedmfer » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:30 am

like everything depends on conditions and weather. Some years I slay em, some like last year suck and you don't see hardly any. Dove hunting is super fun and they taste awesome. I'd like to do that Argentina hunt sometime, that would be fun.
"X" <-------Best Dog...........EVER!
wickedmfer
hunter

Postby chaltig » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:05 am

An Argentina dove huny would be quite the experience.
chaltig
hunter

Postby 2point » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:45 pm

I am not into hunting doves, but I saw the large ones, white wing I believe in Hamilton late into winter last year. Now I hear them every morning right in town. My buddy works for a big company and the CEO always plans a hunting trip every year for the higher ups. My buddy is not a higher up but sometimes the higher ups can't go so they take him.

So he gets to go on a nice hunt all paid for. He has been to Argentina and he got the 1000 bird hat which means he shot 1000 doves in one day. A bird boy would load one gun and hand it to him and he would hand him the empty gun and shoot non stop for hours. I will have to ask him how many gunny sacks of birds he killed, he told me but I forgot how many it was. I asked him if he started to feel guilty, he said no, he never put a little dent in the numbers, and they destroy the farmers fields.
2point
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:40 pm

I get a fair share by camoing up like a bush and sneaking thru the neighborhood yards with my slingshot. The take runs about 40% morning doves and 50% collared doves and 10% eurasian rock doves
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby MontanaMatt » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:57 pm

Ya Top. A buddy of mine used to own a ranch south and west of Terry, and he was always bugging me to come kill doves with him. He told me that there was literally tens of thousands of them if you knew just where to look. I think he said that russian olive groves in a creek bottom were the best dove huntin. He's a killin machine with a shotgun, and always claimed it was shooting doves that made him so good.
MontanaMatt
hunter

Postby wickedmfer » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:27 am

Seriously for those of you who haven't done it, dove hunting is a blast. They are little gray rockets, there are usually a bunch if you get into them and they really are the best eating game bird out there. It's a great early season tune up, you can hunt them pretty much anytime of the day. It's a really fun hunt. Just make sure you got water for the dog, cause it's usually pretty hot out that time of year.
"X" <-------Best Dog...........EVER!
wickedmfer
hunter

Postby chaltig » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:20 pm

wickedmfer wrote:Seriously for those of you who haven't done it, dove hunting is a blast. They are little gray rockets, there are usually a bunch if you get into them and they really are the best eating game bird out there. It's a great early season tune up, you can hunt them pretty much anytime of the day. It's a really fun hunt. Just make sure you got water for the dog, cause it's usually pretty hot out that time of year.

It's a riot. When you get into them it can be non stop shooting. I've had days where we are done in 30 minutes. One time while hunting in Mosses Lake with my father we saw a guy sitting in a lawn chair below and olive tree crackin em as they tried to fly into the tree.
chaltig
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting