BOO YAAA!!

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

BOO YAAA!!

Postby phutch30 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:20 pm

Im a happy hunter.

Successful
2012 ELK PERMIT (410-20)
SUCCESSFUL
District 410-20 was your 1st choice for the ‘2012 Elk Permit’ Drawing.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Re: BOO YAAA!!

Postby STP » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:49 pm

Aw yeah
If i get my first pick i may bump into ya
STP
Newb

Postby Bulldog0156 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:52 am

Nice Hutch, I didn't draw anything cool.
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby wickedmfer » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:13 am

congrats! Im 0 - 20 on my 380-20 tag.
"X" <-------Best Dog...........EVER!
wickedmfer
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:55 pm

mY MOTTO has always been someone has to draw so stick with the unit you want. Realistically with the draw odds with most of these tags 410 had 1.2% and elkhorns has a .77% odds you shouldnt really expect to draw in your lifetime. But the hope of drawing one makes for one of both the high lights and low points of spring/summer. LOL

I think the best part of the tag is usually the excitment of seeing you drew one. LOL

Once you actually draw the pressure to reach the goal you set for yourself gets somewhat stressful
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby montana quackhead » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:09 am

NO WAY! Nice work hutch!! Your a tag machine! Going archery hunting after him or waiting for rifle? Or going archery/scouting, then if you don't seal the deal (which I'm sure you will), rifle? I'm envious!! More bonus points for this guy. :biggrin: I know you've spent quite a bit of time over there, but if you want to discuss any logistics, send me a PM. Remember, we (my buddy) settled on a small 7x8 (according to Nonya) a couple of years ago after only seeing 19 bulls. :fingerhead:
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:27 am

Im gunna be picky. Im thinking something in the 350 class at least intially. My basic plan is to go in mid OCt with my bow before for scouting/hunting then go back a couple days prior to rifle and try to find a shooter and camp on him until opening morning and try an get it done.
phutch30
hunter

Postby montana quackhead » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:58 am

:thumbsup:
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:31 am

Hutch, I hope the best for you and am very curious to see how it plays out! We want lots of pictures!!!
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Fri May 04, 2012 10:59 pm

Congratulations. Coveted tag. I always stick to my guns too. I'd rather not have the tag than blow it on a district that I'm not super-excited about. Too bad the rules make it so a non-resident like me doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell of getting that tag. I hope the state has to make tag soup with the 1700 unsold non-resident licenses. I'm sure they didn't want that great big interest free loan anyway. I can't wait to see what you shoot.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon May 07, 2012 9:34 am

Thats a concequence of moving out of state. Cant have it both ways.

As far as the 1700 tags, they will sell. They wernt "unsold" per say they are a result of non residents not drawing a special elk or deer tag and returning thier license for a refund. Theres always "leftovers" and they always sell out.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Wallinuts » Wed May 09, 2012 10:11 pm

Phutch speaking from experience opening day can be a rodeo up there, but I guess not any worse than where we live. I will be up there also on opener as my wife drew the tag, and I am stoked to get to go back and chase the giant bulls of the breaks. We archery hunted the unit for 4 years after I had the rifle tag so I learned a lot about the unit, and there are still some great bulls in the area. Now that the water is back in crooked creek running the river could make things interesting. I'm not sure how much time you have spent up in the area, but I would be willing to tell you what I have learned while trudging around in 410. I know I will be spending a lot of time this summer fishing/scouting up in the breaks and I can't wait. I know from reading your post the amount of time you put in and the effort you put forth in trying to kill the trophy of a lifetime, and I hope it comes true for you in the breaks this year. I hope more than anything you have an exceptional hunt chasing big bulls in the breaks, cuz I know some of my fondest hunting memories are in those hills. Just wish we were a little closer, but just means more vacation of work to enjoy myself. Good luck and maybe I will see you up there during the season.
Wallinuts
hunter

Postby Wild Bob » Thu May 10, 2012 3:40 pm

Congrats on a sucessful draw! I drew my 620-15 that I was looking for. :thumbsup: Not so lucky on deer, guess I'll be scouring the general areas as usual.

Now if I can just draw that sheep Lic...
Wild Bob
hunter

Location: Some where east of the continental divide but west of Roughrider Country

Postby OGblackcloud » Sat May 19, 2012 4:12 pm

Good luck hutch, Hope to see some photos of the hunt and Big Bull :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting